Big Day

Believe it or not, it was Nate’s big day. His graduation. All the guys attended, even Andy and his troops, along with AJ and Glen. They haven’t told anyone outside yet about Ally. They didn’t dare to. It was as if they refused to go outside of their comfort zone, even though that they would eventually have to face it. However, they probably would have to deal with that later and put on a plastic smile for Nate. A plastic smile with the intention to make sure that the boy would not break down in the middle of his speech. They were all dressed in a semi-formal-casual attire. Sort of. Yea, whatever. They were dressed appropriately.

            They were obviously sitting in the front row. Duh. Nate was happy enough that everyone was there, even though Ally couldn’t make it. He’s still slightly bummed about it, though. His speech was the last on the run down, which was the most crucial moment. People were exhausted already and they just want to get this over with. So this has to be jaw dropping. Nate was peeking behind the curtains and did a little wave at his mom with that adorable smile of his. He was wearing a graduation gown, and it was just the proudest moment of Cubbie’s life. He can’t believe that Nate was grown up so fast. Something that he can’t avoid, even if he wanted to.

            Andy couldn’t help it but to remember Ally’s elementary graduation. How short and jumpy she was. He remember sitting at the same spot, in the front row. He remembered Ally waving at him behind the curtains with that smirk of hers. He remembered her running to him afterwards. He remembered how easily he could throw her in the air because she was slightly smaller than the other kids. She didn’t care if she was the only one acting like a three year old. Yea, she was the one who reacted like that. He remembered having to carry her back to the car because she worn herself out at the end of the day. It was painful that he could remember all that right at the moment where you’re supposed to be happy for someone. He just couldn’t help it.

            Nate was absentmindedly staring at an empty seat. Instead of Ally occupying that seat, it was the flashlight that she gave to him and the pick. It was the two things that he has vowed to keep it safe. He could just imagine Ally sitting there and enthusiastically waving at him. You look old when you frown! He would remind himself on what Ally may say to him. He could feel his heart pounding against his chest. This was the moment of truth. “Nate, are you ready?”

            He nodded shyly.

            His teacher lowered herself so she could look at him right in the eyes, “Your family is out there and they want to see you blow the roof off this place. Make them proud.”

            “Okay.” He took a deep breath and calmed himself down,

            She gave him a pat in the head and went to the center stage, “And for the closing of this ceremony, I would like to introduce you to one of our most proud and outstanding achiever. Please welcome Nathaniel Fink.”

            Everyone clapped their hands supportively.

            Cubbie has heard Nate rehearse his speech a million times and it’s just starting to grow old. He sort of knew every line. It was pretty good, but he’s just heard it too much. But there’s going to be something that’s unexpected. One thing that he wouldn’t be able to recall.

            Hi, everyone. I’m Nate and I am representing my friends for our elementary graduation ceremony. I would just like to say that it’s been a really great time going through elementary with my friends. We have gone through some hard times, but we got through it. And that’s thanks to yourselves and the people who helped. When Ms. Rachel told me that I will be the one doing the speech, I was really nervous. I’ve never given any speeches before, let alone stand in front of an audience. I’m actually still nervous right now, but what keeps me going is that my dad and his friends could do something like this in front of thousands. If my dad could do it, then so can I.