Mine, No Matter What

Hey guys, well this is my first written story and I hope you enjoy it!

*The picture on the side is of Zuleyka, ie Keke Palmer. I think shes awesome.*

I shouldn’t do this. I should just walk out of here right now, go home, and put my head under the covers wishing this day would be forgotten…

But I couldn’t.

I can’t walk away this time, any other time would have been great, like when Cameron Parker asked me if it was ok if he came and listened to me sing at the talent show. I was so surprised by his question I didn’t even recognize my head shaking yes. I should’ve told him I decided not to do the talent show, that my throat was too sore to sing...any of those would’ve worked. But my crush of a year wouldn’t allow it. And now I had to do the embarrassing task of singing a song I had specifically picked out for him, thinking he wouldn’t even think about coming, and all other members of the Rodai High School. All thanks to that bitch Tracie.

“And last but not least, lets’ give a warm welcome to Zuleyka Gibbons!” the music teacher Ms. Johnson said while beaming on stage.

I took a deep breath, took a small sip of the luke warm water in my hand, said “It’s now or never.” and walked out into the small clapping audience.

 Three Months Earlier…..

 "Zulu! If you’re not down here in 5 seconds then you give me no choice but to drag you down!” shouted my best friend Jordan.

“Ugh! Just wait a second! I can’t find my other shoe!” I shouted while digging in my closet, finding every shoe but the one I was looking for.

It was the first day of school of my senior year and my day didn’t start off with the ‘hurrah’ I was looking for. I forgot to hit the set button on my phone alarm, the water in the shower was too hot because my mother turned up the water heater again, and now I can’t find my shoe; the perfect morning.

“Aha! Found it!” I said while holding the newly found shoe in the air. I quickly put it on, grabbed my bag, and hurried down the stairs.

“Finally! I’ve been waiting for you for fifteen minutes….and that’s what you choose to wear to your first day of senior year?” he said whilst looking me up and down.

“What? What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” I asked looking down at myself. I was wearing my favorite black sweatpants, a long sleeved t-shirt, and a black jacket accompanied with my recently found black Nikes.

“It’s just not what I pictured for a first day of school outfit for my hot best friend.” He said with a smirk on his face.

“Ok, ok I’ll go change.” I said as I dropped my bad by the stair and ran upstairs for a quick change.

I changed into my dark blue skinny jeans, a green halter top, and some yellow flats just to make it pop. Going to the mirror I decided to leave my gold hoop earrings in and pulled my black hair out of the bun, letting it fall down my back. While the flat iron heated up I decided to apply minimal make up to my ebony skin and after a few pulls through the flat iron I was ready to go.

“Wow, that’s definitely better.” Jordan said as he looked me over as I walked down the stairs. There was a look in his eye that I couldn’t place but it quickly disappeared as I reached the bottom of the stairs.

I smiled as I said, “Thanks, I think? Well lets’ get this party started.”

As we drove away in his red orange camero I turned to just looked at him. I wouldn’t have gotten this far without him being there for me when I needed him; and I’ve needed him a lot. See, I have this disease called sickle cell anemia and lets’ just say it can be unbelievably painful at times. If it hadn’t been for Jordan, I would be completely depressed, failing every class I’ve ever been in and… just wouldn’t be the person I am without him.