No Day But Today

“It’s been twelve years, hasn’t it?”

“Yes, twelve years.”

Zeus sighed and looked at the twelve year old boy currently doing homework at the kitchen table some ways away from them, though he could see familiar sea-green eyes (it still hurts so much to see them) peeking at them every so often.

“I don’t know how you and Hades managed to pull it off, but I am not against it. I can’t believe you didn’t tell me though,” he scowled.

“I’m surprised you managed to be ignorant of it for so long, and that we managed to keep you in the dark,” Hera replied in amusement. Her amusement died down a little. “We wanted as little people to know as possible, just to keep from overwhelming him at his age –you know they all would have come and bombarded him with their presence. And we also didn’t want it to spread to too many people at all. Too many is just too many, especially since we were trying to keep it quiet and selective. As of now, only you, Hades, Poseidon, myself, and Hermes know of Percy’s existence as he is now.”

Zeus nodded, but he was lost in thought as he watched the child painfully.

“So how has life been for you as a single mother? I can’t seem to be able to see you enjoying it and all the dirty work,” he said wryly, forcefully changing the tune of his mind.

Hera smirked though. “Says you. I’m a wonderful mother. Ask my child. Percy will claim I’m the best mother in the world and fight you like an adorable, stubborn child about it, despite the futileness of it.”

Zeus raised an eyebrow at her, but her smirk just widened before becoming a fond, contented smile.

“But seriously, I truly have enjoyed this time. I even changed his diapers myself, when he was a baby. It was disgusting at first…but when he would gurgle and give an adorable happy toothless grin at me, with his beautiful eyes sparkling…Oh, it was so worth it. I didn’t mind after awhile. None of those messy chores and obstacles dealing with a young one, not anymore. And he showered me with such love and affection. A child of mine finally really loved me so much,” Hera looked lovingly over at her child.

“But he wasn’t your child at first,” Zeus prompted.

Hera frowned. “No…he was reborn to a couple that both died. The father long before the birth, by a car accident, ironically. The mother died in childbirth. Hades managed to manipulate circumstances enough that Percy would be born to this ill-fated couple, so that with their death, Percy would not have any outside ties and it would be easier for us to take him in. Hades managed to then fast-track an adoption. In absence of a father, Poseidon comes frequently and is like a surrogate father to Percy. Hades comes frequently enough –but you know him. He doesn’t want to be seen as a relative. On the other hand, while Hermes sees similarly, he can’t keep away.” The doorbell rang. “Ah, in fact that’s him, I’m sure.”

“Mama, do you want me to get it?” Percy looked curiously over to her, shyly ducking his head when he accidentally looked into Zeus’ eyes.

“No, darling. I’ll get it. You just finish up your work so you can go, okay?” Hera seemed so utterly tender and soft, that Zeus had a hard time seeing her as Hera, the one he’d known for millennia.