Chapter 2. The Reaping.

I make my way to the reaping. I would usually feel nervous in situations like this but this time I feel just fine. I walk up to the table where they are drawing blood just as they do every year. I see the younger kids which this will be there first time in the reaping. 'Don't worry' I think to myself, 'I got this'. I notice a familiar face in the corner of my eye, Charlotte, I guess you could call her a friend of mine. I've had a crush on her for as long as I can remember, but that's besides the point. I need to stay focused. I can't help but to stare though. She catches my gaze, smiles, and waves at me. I feel a rush of energy shooting through my body. I act chill and give her a chin-up. That was smooth, I think. Winning the games would sure impress her. I feel someone bump into me hard and that's when I snapped back to reality. I need to stay focused. I can't let little things like that ruin my chances at fame and fortune. The microphone clicks on. "Happy hunger games!" A roar comes from the crowd and I join in as well. It's in our nature to be prideful of the hunger games. "I am Tina Vance the escort for this years tributes!" Tina's voice echoes across the square. Tina wasn't the escort last year. I wonder what happened to the last one. We watch videos and listen to audio clips of why we hold the games and basically all the stuff everyone already knows. I zone out for most of it. I snap out of it when she says "let the reaping begin!" Another roar arouses from the crowed I don't join in on this one. "Here we go......." I say too myself. I'm ready to move at any moment. "Now as always ladies go fir..." Tina says before I shout "I Volunteer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Everyone looks at me. That is not how I think that would feel. "Well alright then!" Proclaims Tina excitedly "make your Way up here please!". As I walk to the stage everyone cheers and my friends pat me on the back as I go. I step onto stage and people are still cheering. I feel like a celebrity, I will be once I win these games. "What's your name young man?" She asks. "Adam Samson, and I'm 16 for your information." I say calmly. "Oh I love this boy already he's so funny!" Typical of people from the capital to act like this. Some love it, but I hate it. They feel so fake. So scripted. "Give it up for this years boy tribute Adam Samson!" The crowd cheers one again. "And for the girls..." She reaches in the girls bowl and pulled out the slip of paper. "Charlotte Livingston!" My heart drops. The crowd cheers as she makes her way up onto the stage. She looks at me, smiles, and says "looks like we're in this together." I take a deep breath and respond "yeah. For now." I'm still in shock as we make our way to the justice building. I will be fighting my biggest crush in the games.