Chapter 1. Crystal Cove.

Today is the reaping. I'm ready for it, I'm going to volunteer this year. my mother doesn't want me too but come on, I've been training for this for years, This should be easy. ill play this little game for a lifetime of fame and fortune. I think about how sweet it will be as I stick my toes in the water. My sister Abigail sits down next to me and we both look at the view. She must have seen me from the road, I noticed she has her bag with her. She's 22 now and has her own house. I'm always happy when I get too see her.

"You Ready for this Adam?" She asks quietly. "You know it," I say. She nods and smiles "I always knew you would one day, your better with harpoons than dad is, and that's saying something." I laugh slightly and say "And with a trident." She nods and adds "Right.. but its not like there's going to be a stash of tridents in the cornucopia with your name on them." She's right, the chances of that are not in my favor, the only way I could get a weapon that expensive would be through sponsors. "Brought you something" says Abigail. She pulls a wristband out of her bag, I notice it has our district symbol on it. "Thanks sis" I say firmly as I slide it on.

The alarm is going off. that means its time for the reaping. "Go time" says Abigail. we both stand up and brush the sand off of our shorts. I slip my sandals on and give Abigail a hug. "good luck Adam I know you'll do great." "Thanks Abby." I respond. I get on the road and think to myself 'here we go'.