One - Breathe

Breathe

Come play my game. Inhale, inhale, you're the victim!

"Psst Sierra, I'm over here."

There it is. It's that puerile voice that's been haunting me ever since I played this board game.

"Sierra, do you remember me?"

My lips are trembling involuntarily, I'm terrified.

"No." I whisper, my faint voice hinting its drastic fear.

The air around me is invigorating and alive, while the person following me is dead.

It knows my name, it knows my parents, and it knows everything about me, like it's been watching me for the past sixteen years of my life.

Its voice sent shivers down my spine. It is hiding in my room. That thing I talked to yesterday with my friend Michael.

"Sierra, can't you see me?"

I analyse the room, squinting my eyes so tightly, they are almost shut.

The curtains fling open, causing me to step backwards, bumping into my bedroom wardrobe. I rub my head to relieve the pain but it was no good since my head was already in pain from before. My heart was beating rapidly to the sound of a conga drum which was pushing too much blood to my veins. I feel dizzy, especially since my ventilation level is too little due to my nervousness.

The bright light coming from the window makes me feel trapped inside this dark room since I am claustrophobic. I want to get out, but I feel sudden pressure, thickening the air. It was that gripping feeling that someone was behind me. I sense the entity was shorter than me, and it was giggling. Not that childish laughter, no, it was that manic laughter, it was almost satanic.The hairs behind my neck prickle so slowly inducing a sudden bloom of cool air across my face.

The palms of my hands were sweating, and as I turn my head around slowly, I see it. The thing. It was a little girl, and she actually is shorter than me. She is dressed in a nightgown and has big blue eyes, similar to mine. She is smiling at me very deviously, and as I am unable to do anything, I plan to turn on the lights, hoping it is all just a part of my imagination. Maybe it is just paranoia, since it's very unlikely that I have a sixth sense. I step away from the girl, and I slowly tiptoe towards the switch. I turn on the lights with my eyes closed and I look at the room again. It is seemingly normal again yet, I can still hear the ambient echoes of the girl's demonic laughter.

I look over my shoulder towards the place where I last saw the girl. She was gone. I feel a sudden rush of relaxation. I can finally take in deep breaths and sit down. I almost felt paralysed when the girl was in the room. I walk over to the curtains, shut them, and then leave my room.

Now in the corridor, I am thinking of how to tell my mother that I saw a ghostly figure in my bedroom. The face of the girl was erratically disturbing. Not the gore and headless person kind of disturbing, it was more like the I-am-watching-you disturbing. I want to force myself to believe it was paranoia as a result of playing the Ouija board with Michael, but I just can't. It seemed so real and vivid especially since the echoing laughter kept replaying in my head. It was yesterday, on a Saturday night when my neighbour, and best friend came over to play it with me.

I was watching some soap on TV when I heard the doorbell ring, assuming it was Michael, I opened it.

"Hey Michael," I said. "What's that in your hand?" I asked him, looking at a weird looking board-like object.

"A Ouija board." He answered me, with a questioning look on his face. "Don't you know what it is?" he asked me.

"Uh, yeah." I lied.