Ten - You've Got a Friend

You've Got a Friend

Ain't it good to know that you've got a friend when people can be so cold?

 I know how it happened and who's responsible…but I don't know why. They were all over the place, every single inch of the bulletin boards covered with their shocking words. Those were words that I'd written myself, words that I don't regret. But I do want to punch Daniel in the throat so bad his Adams apple gets destroyed and his voice begins to sound as high-pitched as a mouse's. Much to my disappointment, I haven't seen him yet. He's probably hiding from me, I think.

Walking through the school corridor during break time is making me feel too self-conscious because everywhere I go, people just look and talk about me, eyes full of hatred and whispers of condemnation. Of course, some of my friends just give me apologetic smiles as they avoid me. My face is hiding behind my large mathematics book, my eyes only peeking from the top so I can keep track of where I'm heading to.

One tall, dark-haired senior glances at me sneeringly, his nose wrinkled and lips snarled, my cheeks burst into red flames of fire as my pulse, too high for me to even to try to ignore, quickens. He whispers to his friend, a girl not much older than me, with mid back length platinum blonde hair and an overall spiteful look. She looks quite recognizable, probably a girl in one of my classes. I swallow unnervingly as I try to walk faster to my classroom, the floor suddenly becomes more and more attention-grabbing to me since it's the last time I'm ever making eye contact with a human. I'm never like this, and I can't be like this.

"Oh, so she's the bitch?" says a girl's voice.

There is this urge inside of me, wanting to yell out, 'YES, THIS IS SHE!' and it's exactly what happens. This is getting to annoying for me to even handle. Just wait till I get my hands on Daniel.

The girl, clearly shocked, comes charging towards me. I quickly turn around, shutting my eyes so tightly. I can hear people's shoes, mostly the click-clacking of the girl's heels. Almost about to enter my classroom for math class, even though it's still recess, two fingers tap on my shoulder, and slowly I turn around to find the senior's nasty looking friend, or girlfriend confronting me, her head shaking slowly as her naturally plump lips, smeared with pink gloss, are pursed while jerking her chin out at me because she's angry. She then notices how blank my expression is, my fringe covering my eyes because of my humiliation and how nervously I'm clutching onto my books.

"You know what, Kev," she sighs, referring to the dark haired friend of hers. "I'm not going to even bother." And she takes control of my hand, forcefully opening it to shove a paper inside.

It's one of the flyers, obviously.

With that crossed off of her list, she whirls around, shrugging moodily to the senior, Kevin. I breathe out the air I've been suppressing inside of my lungs while she was talking to me. I turn back to the door, but I struggle to open it. Then I remember that it is still the break time and that the door is probably locked. I flop onto the floor, settling my math book onto my knees and I begin to open the crumpled paper. Gradually, a few tears my tear ducts have been dying to secrete fall onto the paper as I read what's written.

Sierra says: Mic, again I'm sorry. UR probably asleep now though. :D

Michael says: Hey, sorry 4 the late reply. And nope, it wasn't you. *zzzz* :p

Sierra: Yeah it was! UR in the hosp cos of me, Mic! Why arnt U mad at me?

That was just an extract of the many messages I sent Michael without Sam or Daniel's knowledge while he was at the hospital. Many more messages like this are posted around the school. I sniff and notice a lean figure in front of me, tearing the flyers off of the walls. I rub my eyes and they then bug out in astonishment as I begin to furrow my eyebrows little by little, trying to figure out what's going on. What is he doing?