Chapter 1: The Beginning

Scarlett's POV:

I sighed as I looked at my reflection in the small mirror hanging next to my door. I had just gotten dressed in the outfit I wear to go outside, a rare occurrence. All Rebellion members were required to wear all black when outdoors in order to recognize other members. Unfortunately for me, today was my turn to go hunt for food. We could only afford to go outside one at a time due to the risk it posed.

I dreaded this above all else. There was always the chance of getting caught by vampires whenever you were outside. North America had the highest vampire population of any continent. For some reason, the Kings decided to choose the land of the free to establish their rule and enslave the humans. Maybe they did have a sense of humor after all.

I shook my head, heading over to the far wall, only to stop in my tracks when I saw that my arrows were missing. My bow was hanging up by nails I had tacked into the plaster, but the spot next to it, where I kept my sheath, was vacant. Frowning, I slung the bow over my shoulder, getting my arm guard and finger glove off of my dresser, strapping them both on.

Where were my arrows?

I felt my brows furrow as I strode over to the door. Maybe I left them by the exit hatch. My thoughts went over other possibilities as I swung the door open, only to find someone already standing there.

"Ashton?" I said, a bit startled. Ashton was nineteen, over six-feet tall, Australian, and my best friend. When he was very little, he used to live in Australia, something I could only dream of. However, his sea-side village was attacked in a raid led by vampires. Although the Rebellion was able to defend their land, many villagers died, including Ashton's family. Ashton, on the other hand, was kidnapped and shipped back to the United States to be a blood slave.

By chance, the vampires holding him captive decided to make camp only a few miles out from our underground camp. My parents led the attack to wipe out the small band of bloodsuckers, killing the vampires and saving Ashton in the process. They brought him back to the camp and basically adopted him. He was like a brother to me.

"Hey, I was just coming by to give you these," Ashton spoke, holding up my missing sheath with a guarded look in his eyes. "You left them in my room."

My frown deepened. I didn't remember bringing my arrows into Ashton's room. I quickly shook my head to clear it and took my sheath from him, slinging it over my shoulder. I was just distracted.

"Thanks, I was just coming to look for them." I gave a small nod in his direction, fiddling with all of my gear. A pair large hands reached out and engulfed my much smaller ones, stilling them.

"I wish I could come with you. I wish they would allow us to hunt together—we would make such a badass team!" Ashton insisted, giving my hands a small squeeze. My throat tightened unconsciously.

"You know why we can't, ever since my parents . . . " I trailed off, unable to continue. "It's safer for us this way. If a vampire does find me hunting, only one person will have to die."

Ashton immediately embraced me into a fierce hug.

"Don't talk like that," he growled, "They're not going to find you."

"I'm just nervous, that's all," I said, my voice muffled by his shirt, "I always get nervous."

"I know, and everytime you come home safely. Calm down. You're the best bow hunter we have," he reassured me, pulling back, "Well, besides me of course."

I cracked a smile that didn't quite reach my eyes, and I was sure Ashton could tell. Glancing over at the clock, my stomach suddenly fell into knots.