Chapter Three: Heart of Nobility

The Earl of Langford bowed low before Her Majesty, Queen Victoria. He had answered the summons waiting for him when he returned home from the jeweler. The royal messenger told him that he was to come immediately to Windsor Castle. When they arrived, he was directed with utmost speed to the queen's sitting room.

"Langford," the queen addressed. "How goes it for your family? Are they well?"

He rose and sat after the queen in the settee across from the queen's chair. "Yes, Your Majesty. They are in fine form. My sister is of age to be presented to you at the Little Season."

The queen nodded. "I will have my secretary make a note of that." Straightening an already rigid posture, Victoria's face turned grave. "It has come to our attention that there is a monster loose in the streets. This "Leather Apron", as the media has dubbed him, has besmirched our city enough with his degradation and brutal crimes. We wish for you to work with Scotland Yard to capture him before he victimizes another.

"We know you are quite capable in this endeavor. You have proved your skills time-and-again in the protection of the Empire. We know you will do your best for our subjects." The queen stood. "Go now. We will want word on your progress."

Langford stood and bowed. "Thank you, Your Majesty. I will strive to aid the realm with integrity and honor."

"We know you will, Langford. We would not trust it to any other. Ponsonby will have what you need."

Langford watched the queen leave the room. When he exited the room, Ponsonby appeared like magic before him with his Scotland Yard contact. They spoke a few words before he was escorted out of the castle to his waiting horse.