Chapter Nine: Heart of the Question

Langford entered the shop and frowned when he saw her. "Adine, are you all right? How did you hurt your arm?"

She must have looked a fright with tearstained cheeks and red eyes and nose. She must have been pale as well. "I was being silly and struck it against the door. It was only a little bruised, but Papa worried so that I placed it in the sling to appease him," she lied. "And to answer your other question, yes, my lord, I am fine. I received some grave news."

"Is Henri here?"

She shook her head. "No, my lord. Papa is fine. He is out right now. May I help you?"

Langford grimaced. "Maybe. How much do you know of the gears your father works with?"

Her heart lurched in her chest. In the turmoil, she had forgotten both last night and the box just to the right of them. "Quite a lot. I watched him build watches since she was a child. Why do you ask?"

The earl dropped a few, near pristine gears onto the counter from his pocket. A few were bent and mangled. "I found these at a murder scene. What do you make of them?"

Before she could answer, Papa entered the shop. "Langford, how are you?"

"Not very well, Henri. I must ask you some questions."

Papa patted the earl on the arm. "Of course, my lord. Ask away."

As Langford presented the gears to her father, she used the opportunity to remove the box and note. She slipped into the backroom and out into the alleyway. She shoved the box underneath some discarded newspaper before returning to the shop.

*****

Landford watched and knew something suspicious had occurred. He spied the box but gave it no notice until it was taken away. He shook Henri's hand and left the shop but only to sneak down the back alley to search.

He found it under the newspaper. "Damn it," he hissed as eyed the ear with disgust. The note was obvious. It was in the same hand as the postcard he had been called into Scotland Yard to see.

Some of them thought it a hoax since details of the murder had been printed as well as the first letter. He remembered clearly what postcard said:

I was not codding dear old Boss when I gave you the tip, you'll hear about Saucy Jacky's work tomorrow double event this time number one squealed a bit couldn't finish straight off. Had not got time to get ears off for police thanks for keeping last letter back till I got to work again.

Jack the Ripper

This note was personal. How did Adine know the murderer?

He would find the answer. No matterwhat it took, he would learn Adine's secret