Chapter One: Heart of Jewels

In the time when Queen Victoria's reign over her Empire waned in the twilight years of her life when the horror of Whitechapel first made the papers, Adine discovered love for the first time. She could never tell him of her love for he would shun her if he ever saw her true self. He would abhor the very thing that gave her freedom from the wheeled chair she had been confined to for so long.  

No, Adine could only gaze upon his visage when he entered her father's shop. As one of the elite jeweler and watchmakers in London, only the wealthiest and noblest patrons could afford his wares. 

Adine watched him from the backroom as he studied each display with an arrogant, well-to-do air. She supposed he was here for a trinket for his newest mistress. Even in the Cits knew the earl was well known for his . . . success with married ladies and demimonde alike. 

It saddened her he would waste his life like that instead of finding love. She plastered a welcoming smile to her face as she exited the backroom. "Good afternoon, my lord. How may I serve you?" 

"Ah, Adine. A pleasure as always to see your beautiful smile," he complimented her as he took her gloved hand from across the counter and kissed her knuckles. 

"You are too gracious, my lord. You know many ladies more beautiful than I," Adine flirted back. 

It was ever thus between them, and ever would it be. Her heart lurched at his beauty as dark hair fell in a pleasing coiffure. His deep blue eyes glittered at the age-old scene they playacted. They shared a knowing grin before he let go of her hand. 

"I have come for a present for a lady," he announced all business now.  

She stilled at his words. Not wanting to see him purchase a bauble for another courtesan, she stood a little straighter in stiffness. "My father is out but if you would like to return later -" 

The earl's gaze narrowed. "Come, come, Adine. You know this business as well as your father. You can write a bill of sale with just as much competence as he. Besides, I would like your opinion." 

Taken aback, she almost let her jaw drop in affront. Me help him purchase something for his who- No, I will not fall to those wretched depths, she promised herself. Instead, Adine tried to evade his request. "My lord, I would not presume to -" 

Again, he interrupted her as if he did not hear her speak. "What would be appropriate for a girl of sixteen?" 

Today it seemed was a day of surprises. "Sixteen, my lord?" 

His expression softened. "Yes, my sister's birthday approaches, and I would like to find her something for her presentation to the queen." 

Clearing her throat, she wished the floor would open and swallow her. Embarrassed by her lack of decorum and the censorious tone toward a peer of the realm, she gave in to her humility. "Forgive me for my presumptuousness and -" 

A glare marred his features. "Adine, you are trying my patience." 

Without further ado, Adine lead him over to the far left of the shop where her father kept jewelry pieces not on display yet. Taking a key from the pocket of her skirt, she opened the lock and pulled out a tray of set pieces. Each set contained a bracelet, necklace, earbobs, broach, and hairpins with identical jeweled figures. 

Graceful, elegant, and understated, they would do well for a younger woman. This tray displayed platinum butterflies encrusted with a unique stone from Sri Lanka. The padparaschda sapphire burned a lustrous orange-pink. They were simply exquisite in their fire. 

The earl's eyes glowed in pleasure. "These are perfect. What are they?" he asked in awe as he picked up one of the pins and gazed at it in the light. 

She explained what they were with the pride of knowing she had chosen well. "Shall I wrap them up, my lord?" 

He placed the pin back with the others. "Yes, Adine. They will do very well indeed."  

Adine carried the tray to the main counter. She went into the backroom and brought out the new box her father made for the sets. She positioned each piece in their place, closed the box with quick precision, and tied a ribbon upon the top. Setting it before the earl, she wrote up the bill of sale and gave him the copy. "Here you are, my lord, with the best wishes for your sister." 

"Thank you, Adine. Give my best to your father." 

She watched with a wistful gaze as he left the store until he absented himself from her view. Adine gripped the tray and lifted it up to replace it. Before she took a step, her fingers seized and trembled. Not wanting to drop the gems, Adine whirled to place them back on the counter, but instead of setting it gently, her entire arm crashed onto the glass surface and shattered it. 

Using her other hand, Adine picked up her useless arm and watched in pained dismay as her fingers danced spastically in grotesque and unnatural movements.