Chapter Eight: Heart of Terror

Adine wiped down the new glass counter, which was quite awkward because of the sling holding her arm. Papa, furious at the wanton destruction, became silent, and she knew he would be so for a long while. He would not even allow her an explanation, and when Gregory's name passed her lips, he refused to speak.

Adine sighed. If Papa would not listen to her then who? Maybe the earl? Maybe he would listen to her.

She shook her head at that wayward thought as the bell rang over the door. A messenger entered and tipped his head respectfully. "Miss Adine Marchant?"

Blinking in bewilderment, she pushed the cloth away. "Yes. I am Adine."

The messenger gave a brilliant smile and strode forward. "I have a package for you. I was paid double if I would deliver it express," he explained as he pulled out the small wrapped box.

Adine was not expecting anything, but she opened the moneybox and tipped him. "Thank you."

He grinned. "A pleasure, ma'am."

As he closed the door behind him, she opened the paper with awkward movements. There was a note on top of the jewel box, and her heart plummeted. Chills coursed down her neck and arm. She unfolded the note and read.

Sis

Jack's work was undone by you. He is not pleased. Do not interfere again, or he will work with you. A gift meant for the police. Enjoy.

G.

Shaking, she opened the box and stifled her scream with her hand over her mouth. The urge to vomit was near overwhelming. A bloody severed ear bedded upon white silk. When? Who?

Tossing the note atop the box, she sobbed, knowing she had not stopped him at all.