Surviving the Storm

Word count: 2601

Kyla's P.O.V.

The gladers and I were in the scorch on our way to the the only city for miles around. I woke up to an unnaturally gray and windy late night, early morning. Storm, I thought, must be a storm. I saw the buildings of the city, closer than ever, they were really tall.
The other gladers were up, looking up into the clouds, Minho came over, " 'bout time you woke up!" He yelled over the ever increasing winds gusting around. "Yeah, yeah." I muttered shaking Newt up. " Morning, love." Newt said in his wonderful groggy morning voice.

"Newt, come on we have to go a storms-a-coming!" You shouted, instantly all the clouded sleep left his beautiful, brown eyes, and he jumped up, pulling me along. He knew just as well as anybody that the storms within the Scorch can be spectacularly deadly.

"Where are we going!?" Newt shouted at Minho, who was running at the front of the group, whereas Newt and I were at the back the back, due to Newts worsening limp.
Minho didn't hear his question, but Thomas yelled that they were heading towards the closest building for shelter. I hesitated, because the building looked like it would collapse at any given moment.

We were running through the storm, debris flying everywhere, sand kicking up into my face making it hard to see anything. As all my senses faded all I felt was Newt's fingers entwined with mine, and running.

We were only a few miles away from the first building of the city when Thomas spotted an old man wrapped in blankets, lying on his back, the gusting wind whipping the blankets around his unmoving body. We packed in a tight circle around his body, I was in between Newt and Minho.
He looked a hundred, what with sunburned, leathery skin, and white long hair and beard. He was looking straight to the sky with an emptiness in his eyes. He'd shown no notice that we had arrived. As scared as I was for myself and the others, regardless of the storm trying to kill us all, I was curious as to what information this man might hold.

Newts P.O.V.

"Hey, old man!" Minho yelled as I rolled my eyes. Minho, always the first to yell. I had a hard time hearing him due to the roaring winds.
As curious as I was, I just wanted to get the hell out of there and keep Kyla safe; ever since she was stung back in the glade I felt I had to do everything in my power to protect her, she was the only reason for me to have hope of a good life.
I doubt the man could hear, he looked like he couldn't see either, probably blind. Kyla let go of my hand and leaned forward towards the man, I felt uneasy.
What if this man hurt her?
I tried to pull her back, but she didn't budge. Hell I swear if she gets hurt, I'll kill that man, revive him and bloody kill him again.

" Sir? Mister?" Kyla called. The words sounded weird , she's never used them before, she must have had remembered from the changing. "can you hear me? Can you speak?" She called again.

The man did nothing, he hardly blinked. I kneeled next to Kyla, hugging her. I said, " This guy could be our bloody salvation, if he can tell us anything about this place." Kyla sighed, " yeah but he hardly moves, let alone having long conversation." I squeezed her shoulders.
Minho spoke up. " Kyla, keep trying. Since you're the most appealing, you're officially the foreign ambassador for us." His words sent cold shivers down my spine, thinking of Kyla talking to dangerous strangers. She squeezed my shoulders this time, giving me a small reassuring smile. She's so hot.
I meaningfully shook my head I can't afford thoughts like that right now. She moved closer to the stranger, leaning her face closer, so the man could hear her the ever growing storm. "Sir, we really need you to tell us about this place, so we can get out of here!" She yelled and the man. The man who just a second ago was looking past her, moved his attention towards her face, she sighed in relief at his reaction. I felt my hope grow just a bit at the fact he realized we were here.