Chapter 45

Claire's POV

We have been walking around now for a while and I know people have recognized me. They stare and whisper as we pass by. I guess I don't blame them. They haven't seen me since I moved from here six years ago. I decided to take Lilly into the little bakery I used to go to all the time. We walked into the small bakery and I instantly smiled. It hasn't changed at all. It always smelled amazing in here. I looked around and admired the little shop that I haven't seen in six years.

" Claire, is that you?" I heard a familiar voice behind me. I turned with a big smile on my face.

" Barbara!" I exclaimed loudly. She walked up to me and squeezed me in a tight hug. I chuckled and reciprocated the hug.

" I haven't seen you in ages. Look how much you've grown. What are all these young lady?" She asked pointing to my tattoos making me laugh.

" How've you been Barbara?" I asked her.

" I've been great. How about you, love?" She asked me.

" I've been doing good," I turned around to pull Lilly into me. " because of this beautiful woman right here." I said kissing her head. Barbara smiled warmly at Lilly.

" Hello, love. What's your name?" She asked Lilly.

" My name is Lilly. It's nice to meet you." Lilly said sticking her hand out. I chuckled slightly knowing that Barbara doesn't like to shake hands. She's a hugger. Just as I thought, she pulled Lilly into a hug. When they pulled away, Lilly smiled warmly.

" So, are you two sweethearts?" She asked with a smile. I nodded and smiled.

" I'm happy for you, love. I've missed seeing your beautiful face everyday." She said and I sighed.

" I missed you as well Barbara but you know why I had to leave." I said to her and she gave me a sad look.

" I know, love. Your mother was a wonderful woman and she would be so proud of the woman you are today." She said softly as she rubbed my arm. I looked down at the floor and nodded. She wouldn't be proud of me. I've hurt people and killed my father. Tears sprung to my eyes. This is why I haven't come back. I didn't want to have to face the place where my life went to shit.

" Yeah, well it was great to see you again Barbara. We got to go." I said quickly and grabbed Lilly's arm. I left the bakery and started walking quickly back to the hotel.

" Claire, wait up. Why are you walking so fast?" Lilly jogged to catch up with me.

" I'm tired. I want to lie down." I said looking down at the ground. Lilly grabbed my arm gently to stop me and turned me towards her. She lifted my chin up to look into my eyes. I guess she noticed the tears in my eyes because she gave me a concerned look.

" What's wrong?" She asked me. I shook my head as more tears fell from my eyes.

" Babe, please talk to me. I hate seeing you cry. Is it what Barbara said about your mom?" She asked wiping my tears away. I nodded and closed my eyes.

" She wouldn't be proud of me. I'm a screwup. I've hurt people and I've killed my father. Why would she be proud of me?" I said to her.

" Claire, you're not a screwup. She really would be proud of you. Sure you've made some mistakes but you're smart and an amazing person." She said to me and I shook my head not believing her.

" Is this why we haven't gone to visit your mom yet? You're scared to visit?" She asked me and I nodded.

" Where's the cemetery?" She asked me and I looked up at her.