Dragonfire's Story ch. 1

My name is Dragonfire. I sleep under the stars with Starclan every night. I lay here with my den mates, imagining my dead siblings still alive, sleeping next to me under the stars. Why Starclan has chosen this path for me, I do not know. As every cat in the forest dreams of chasing and hunting mice and rabbits, I dream of chasing my family and hunting down the cats, one by one, that tore apart my life forever.

I hear whispers behind my back of murder and evil. I continue walking to the leader's den, ignoring these words of cruelty. He will assign me a job of importance, for Windclan has developed a clever advantage to other clans. Onestar sends the most powerful and smartest cat to the edges of our boundaries to spy on our enemies. I am known as a rouge to all other clans that know not of Windclan's ingenious plans. I pretend to wander on other clans' boundaries, and I provide a secret advantage to my clan. I am only a weapon, but I accept my value.

I approach the fresh kill pile. The apprentices back away. Almost all the cats in my clan fear me. I see a new apprentice tumbling down to the pile. He bears a single black spot on his back, and is completely white. His eyes are gray, yet I see a silver spot of enthusiasm in them. He runs right up to me.

"Hiya! My name is Spotpaw! I'm a new apprentice here!", he immediately says. "What's your name?"

I look at this apprentice in surprise. My face bears a scratch, and my eyes are almost completely yellow. Why does this young cat not fear me?

"I'm Dragonfire.", was all I could choke out.

"Hi Dragonfire! Are you a warrior yet?"

"Yes."

"Cool! I'm not actually an apprentice yet. I still need a mentor. But I'm still so excite..."

"Spotpaw! You're needed by your mother!" It was Snaketail. He does not fear me. He hates me. I have never spoke to him. Yet he hates me.

"Coming! Sorry, Dragonfire! Got to go! Bye!"

And that was it. The only cat that doesn't know my true nature. He is now gone, stolen by a cat who barely knows my name, yet has learned to hate me.

I crouch low in a bed of water reeds. I listen, and try to find at least one RiverClan cat. I suddenly hear splashing, and then paw steps through mud. I perk my ears. I assume a cat has just gotten back from border patrol. I strain my ears.

I think that I truly am the most talented warrior in this forest. I am the fastest in my clan, and I can kill with one strike. I can't swim, but who can? And besides, what use is swimming? Our ancestors only fought one battle in the water. ShadowClan won.

"Welcome back, Dewpaw. Are our borders safe?"

"It appears they are. I haven't run into any rouges or kittypets since last moon. Even ShadowClan isn't trying to pull any invasions or attacks! We truly are living in a peaceful time of the clans. That, or they're all scared!"

It unsheathed my claws at that moment. Scared?! WindClan fights with the Spirit of Wind! We don't hide in the thickest brambles in the forest. We don't rely on a measly river to protect our soft pelts. We don't cower in the shadows if night! We let ourselves be seen by all clans. We let them scoff our "stupidity", but we are truly the most courageous clan.

"Now, now Dewpaw. Do not get too cocky. Cats that become overly prideful stumble on their paws like kits. RiverClan is a humble and peaceful clan. We do not boast."

"But Brineclaw..."

The two cats walked back to their camp together.

I gritted my teeth together. How dare they! I finally convinced myself to stalk back to camp. At least I have something to tell Onestar. I creep through the mud, promising myself that RiverClan will pay. They will pay.