Dragonfire's Story ch. 3

"Every cat old enough to catch his own prey, gather at Outlook Rock."

I awake to the sound of paw steps. I see warriors slinking out of the warriors' den. I stand, and blink the sleep out of my eyes. I exit the den, and head towards Outlook Rock.

Cats shoot me self conscious looks. I ignore them, too excited to hiss at them today. I sit in the very corner of the audience area. The apprentices start walking up onto the rock. Onestar is sitting on the highest peak of the boulder. I sway my tail back and forth, still too excited to sit still.

"Tonight, we have three apprentices, each awaiting a wise and guiding mentor. Each apprentice shall state the name of their decided mentor. If possible, their requested mentor shall be brought up next to them, and they shall touch noses. This resembles the two sharing a part of themselves with each other, meaning one will never truly be without the other." Onestar shared.

Cats murmured to each other, probably discussing their preferred apprentice. I sat quietly in my corner, wondering who will be chosen. This is the first time I ever cared about a ceremony. I felt happy. Cheerful. Joy.

"Pinepaw, let the spirits know which mentor you believe will guide you through the ways of becoming a warrior and a loyal clan member."

A small, dark brown kit feebly walked over to Onestar. Pinepaw closed her eyes. Every cat closed their eyes in respect, awaiting the kit's decision. I closed my eyes, blinking them open for a second, then reclosing them.

"I choose...", The small words echo throughout the crowd. "Wingfoot."

"Wingfoot. Wingfoot. Wingfoot.", we all repeat. I open my eyes, and see Wingfoot making her way up to the small kit.

"Starclan! Accept Pinepaw's choice, and help Wingfoot to guide this apprentice through the ways of becoming a warrior!" Onestar asked the spirits.

Wingfoot faced the small apprentice. They both touched noses, and walked into the crowd together.

"Pebblepaw, let the spirits know which mentor you believe will guide you through the ways of becoming a warrior and a loyal clan member."

The same gray kit that had put me down at the prey pile walked up next to Onestar. We closed our eyes in unison, and waited for his decision.

"I choose..."

"Longbark."

"Longbark. Longbark. Longbark."