Dragonfire's Story ch. 5

The rest of the ceremony flew by. Snaketail walked by me with a smug grin on his stupid face.

"Don't get your whiskers in a twist, Dragonfire. I know you were smart enough to know that you wouldn't get picked."

He grinned at me, his teeth gleaming in the afternoon's rays.

"You're nothing but a weapon, Dragonfire. Everyone knows it. You're nothing."

I leap at him, claws unsheathed. My eyes are blinded by red and I claw aimlessly. I hear cats yowling in surprise around me. One thought pulses in my mind. He must die.

"Dragonfire!"

I hear my name called from behind me. An enemy? I turn. No. It is Onestar. I open my mouth to answer, but something pushes me from behind. Teeth sink into my back. I whip around, clawing blindly. I feel blood ooze onto my claws. Yes.

"DRAGONFIRE! STOP!"

Again, something tumbles into me from behind. It pushes me off my paws, and I collapse in the dirt. I see Snaketail lying in dust, covered in grime and blood. His breathing was ragged and uneven. I flex my sticky claws.

"What in the name of Starclan is wrong with you, Dragonfire?" I hear Onestar scream. Only now do u realize what I have done. What I have done with my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My family was killed by a River Clan invasion. The stupid water rats attacked on a night of story. The kits were listening to the warriors telling stories and legend of our ancestors. Suddenly, a sleek, gray furred cat came barreling into the dens, yowling. He attacked the closest kit, and havoc reigned. River cats came pouring in, blood spilled. My mother carried me outside and hid me in the brushes. Then she ran back to battle.

I found their bodies at dawn. My family, my friends, gone. I survived, along with two other kits, the elders, and all our warriors. I lost my siblings, Cyankit and Palmkit. They were both playful, and we loved each other. And then, they were gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked around me. My clanmates' were glaring, looks of hatred on their faces. Their eyes pierced me like claws. I will never fit in. Never. I am a weapon. They should die. I must leave.

I take a step back, and turn away. Then I run. I run, faster and faster, into the thickets. I am no longer a warrior. I will never be a warrior. I was never a kit, apprentice, or weapon. I am fire.