Chapter 4

"Tim, Tim, wake up," a voice whispers.
I jolt up so fast that my head starts to spin. I look around and see that I'm in a completely dark room that I don't recognize. A man is standing right in front of the bed that I somehow got into.
"Where the heck am I? And how the heck did I get in this bed?"
"You don't remember what happened yesterday?"
My memory starts flooding back, the hospital, Dad, everything.
I must be at Dad's house, which means I'm in Deer Creek.
"Dad, how did I get in this bed? The last thing I remember was being in your truck."
"When we got home to my apartment you were fast asleep. I didn't want to wake you, so I picked you up and carried you into my apartment."
"You carried me into your apartment?! I'm almost sixteen not five!"
"My boy is growing up so fast."
"I'm not your boy! You left mom right before I was born. Do you know how hard my life's been?"
"Tim I---"
"Save it, Dad! I need to get ready for school! That is why you came in here, right?"
"Yes, it's five thirty. We will be leaving at seven."
"Good. Now get out of this room!"
Dad goes over and turns on the light. I squint my eyes as the light hits my face.
So this is your punishment for me telling you the truth. Wow, I've been through worse.
Dad, slams the door shut. I jump, clearly not ready for this at this time in the morning. I sure hope he doesn't do anything stupid like Mom. I just can't help but think that Mom's accident was not an accident. Maybe she planned the whole thing. That's crazy talk. Mom wouldn't do that. Or would she? I'm so confused right now. What I need to do right now is start to get ready for school.

I take in the atmosphere. The room is fairly small, although a queen sized bed fits in it. The walls are bare, not a single picture hangs on them. The walls are a light yellow with floors the color of brown to compliment them. There is a single dresser, light brown, with no mirror. I find my suitcase leaning against the closest door.

After getting dressed, I rifle through my suitcase looking for my brush. I find it buried in a mound of clothes. I quickly run it through my hair, getting all the knots out. I put my brush on the dresser, grab my toothbrush and paste, and head for the bathroom. The bathroom turns out to be small with a simple shower, toliet, and sink. I get a washcloth, turn on the sink, and soak my face in icy cold water. It feels so refreshing. If only life was like that.

I exit the bathroom to the smell of pancakes. Not just any pancakes, but chocolate chip. My nose guides me to the kitchen, where Dad is positioned over the griddle flipping pancakes. He turns his attention to me.
"Pancakes are up!" Dad says enthusiastically.
How in the world can he be so happy? I bit his head off about thirty-five minutes ago. Nobody can forgive that fast.
"How can you not be mad at me? I hurt your feelings."
"That was water under the bridge. You have your mother's personally, getting easily flustered. I didn't take it personal. You had a right to get mad."
"Yes, I did. I want to know why you left Mom and I."
"All will be revealed at breakfast."
I take my seat at the small wooden table just as Dad brings over a huge stack of chocolate chip pancakes. I pile three delicious pancakes on my plate, and drizzle Log Cabin syrup on them.
"What are all the questions you have for me?" Dad asks, just as I swallow a bite of pancake.
"Just one mostly. Why did you leave Mom and I?"
I stare down at my plate. Dad sighs. "I was afraid you were going to ask that question first."
"Are you going to tell me?" I whisper.
The room goes quiet. I can't even hear a pin drop. Dad, is hesitating to tell me the truth. I know that for a fact. Maybe he's ashamed for abandoning Mom right before I was born.
"I-I left because . . . because I was afraid. I was afraid that I wouldn't be a very good dad. I was twenty-seven at the time you were born. My dream I had was to open up a bakery, and I didn't need anything holding me back."
"You left because you were afraid, and I was just one big obstacle standing in your way of completing your dream?!"
"I was young at the time, Tim. I was stupid for leaving you."
"You waited almost sixteen years for this! And every since fifth grade kids have told me that my dad was in a pile of bones in the basement!"
"I'm so sorry, Tim."
"Sorry doesn't cut it!"
I get up rapidly from my chair, and push it hard. The sight of Dad's face makes me sick.
"Enjoy your poison-filled pancakes! I'll be waiting outside in the truck."
I take the keys off the key holder, and run outside. I press the open button, and climb into the front seat. I put my head on the window, and start to cry.
I hate you, Dad. I really, really hate you. Mom, was right. All you are is a big fat heart breaker.
Dad arrives at the truck five minutes later with my backpack. I must have forgotten it.
"Keys?" Dad asks.
The keys are held tightly in my right hand. I quickly hand him them, and stare out the window. Dad, puts them in the ignition, and drives off down the road.
All the way to school, Dad and I do not talk.I know that he knows that he screwed up. Instead, I stare out at the the road. The sky is beautiful at sunrise with its different shades of pinks, oranges, purples, and blues. It almost makes me feel peaceful. The trees are light green, but in a few weeks they will start to change color. I feel the truck halt to a stop. I look out the window and see that we're in the school parking lot. I couldn't have been happier. I open the door and hop out. I start to walk to the school's entrance, but Dad stops me.
"Tim, wait.
I stop walking and stare out at the truck. Dad, gets out with my backpack, and something in his left hand. I meet him halfway.
"Dad, what do you want?"
"You forgot your backpack, and I wanted to give you this."
He hands me my backpack and in the box is a Samsung S6 Galaxy.
"Dad, I don't need this phone. I've survived almost sixteen years without a cell phone."
"Consider it a part of your birthday present. I've already programmed my number, your grandparents, which would be my mom and dad, and my girlfriend Kelly."
"Girlfriend? You never told me you had a girlfriend."
"You never asked. In fact, she will be picking you up from school. Have a good day today."
Before I have time to react, Dad is bolting back to his truck. Smart man. I was just about to bitch to him about how I didn't want to meet his dumb girlfriend. I mean, come on, my mother is in the hospital. What I certainly don't need right now is a stepmother. Look at Cinderella. She had an evil stepmother that treated her like dirt. As a result of her cruelty, she was banished from the kingdom and never to be seen again. In real life it doesn't really work like that, only if a person gets a court order can that person be banned from seeing the other person.
When I walk into the building,Kim is staring at me.
"What? Stop staring at me!"
"I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but notice the man you were talking to outside. You look an awful lot like him."
"Stop prying into my business, Kim! I said yesterday that I never wanted to talk to you again!"
"I'm sorry, Tim. If you never want to talk to me again I understand."
Kim, runs out of the lobby, tears streaming down her face. I feel really bad. Even though Kim hurt me I had no reason to hurt her back. That's what I did to Chelsea. I was so mad at her for not wanting to be my friend that I didn't realize that she was doing it for my safety. The next thing I know, I'm at her funeral crying like a little girl. I loved Chelsea. And even though I was only in fifth grade I knew I felt true love.
I speed walk to out of the entrance with my head held down low. I can feel eyes on me.
Jeez, guys. You act like I just killed Kim or something. All I did was tell her the truth.
When I get to Algebra Two, I finally lift my head up.The staring has finally gone away, all but one set of eyes, Brett's. He doesn't take his bull-like eyes off of me as I take my seat.
The bell sounds, and Mrs. Freeman slams the door shut.
"All right class, today continue working on your Algebra One review packets. They will due on Friday for completion."
Mrs. Freeman goes up to her desk. I pull my packet out of my binder and get out my packet. I flip to the second page. There are three absolute value problems. I remember from last year that when you have absolute value problems that you make two equations. I look at first problem:|5x|+5 =45. I rewrite it in two separate equations: 5x+5=45 and 5x-5= -45.
After I solve each equation correctly; I write my answer in an ordered pair, (8,-8)
I repeat the process with the other two problems. I just the page finish when the bell rings. I shove the packet into my binder, dart out of the classroom, down a hallway, and down a flight of stairs. I feel a presence behind me as I walk futher away from the staircase. I turn around and gasp, my face going white.
How the hell did you get out of class so fast?
"Hemlock, I've told you for the past three days that nobody walks away from me."
"I wasn't walking away from you. I was trying to get to my next class."
The hallways have now filled up with crowds of loud talking teenagers walking to their next class. If Brett trys anything right now he'll make a scene.
"That's your excuse for everything. I know it's because you're trying to avoid me."
"You're a mean, nasty football player; everybody wants to stay clear of you."
Brett raises his fist, as if he's going to punch me in the face.
"I wouldn't do that if I were you."
"And why would that be?"
I say the first thing that pops into my mind. "Because, my father will kick your sorry ass."
Brett lowers his fist, and starts to laugh.
"Your father . . . kicking my ass? That's physically impossible, he's dead."
Brett starts to laugh again. This time even louder.
"My father is not dead! I met him yesterday."
" Oh, that's right. Somebody needed to take custody of you. I guess your low life dad that isn't dead felt pitty for you. Your murderous mother got in a car accident; she's finally going to die, just like she should have thirty years ago."
Furry starts to build in me. It's the same furry I felt five years ago, when Abigail beat up Mom. It takes all of my energy not to punch Brett in the face. I can't get in the trouble; the principal will probably take Brett's side.
"I see the hate in your eyes, Hemlock. I dare you to punch me in the face."
"I rufuse to punch you in the face. I'm the one that will get in trouble."
The late bell sounds in the distance. Brett laughs menacingly.
"I guess you're going to be late for class. What a shame."
Brett walks down the hallway, but stops when he's about to turn the corner. I'm still standing in the exact same spot.
"Tim, get it in your thick little skull that you are nothing. You will always be nothing. I just don't know how to convince you of that."
He laughs one more time before turning the corner, disappearing from my view. I take off running towards Mr. Kelsak's room. When I get there, I find myself thinking about Brett. How could he be so cruel? Maybe he's getting help from someone. Maybe Chad's the one helping him. But that's impossible. I haven't seen Chad since school started. He's probably on vacation or something. I don't have time to think about this. Mr. Kelsak is going to kill me. I knock on the door. Mr. Kelsak opens it, looking impatient.
"Mr. Hemlock, late for my class again."
"I'm sorry, sir. I was---"
"No need to explain. Get out your vacab homework."
I head over to my desk, unzip my binder, and pull out the five pieces of notebook paper with the vocab on it. Mr. Kelsak comes over, flipping over each piece of paper. He nods his head, pulls a smile face stamp out of his pocket, and stamps one of the papers.
"Very good, Mr Hemlock."
He takes his eyes off me, and turns back to class.
"I hope you all studied your vocab words, because we're going to do a review for tomorrow's test."
We all stare at Mr. Kelsak in disbelief. Who gives a test the first week of school?
"All of you are probably thinking that I'm crazy for giving a test the first week of school, but that's just the way I am. If you can take my class than you can pass the Keystone. Mr. Hemlock start us off; read us the definition followed along with a sentence."
I stare down at my list of vocab words and see that the first word is plethora.
"Plethora; a very large amount or number. I have a plethora of problems going on in my life right now."
"Very good Mr. Hemlock. Would someone like to go next?"
Nobody raises their hand. I don't really blame them; Mr. Kelsak is a pretty scary dude.
"Come on, people! This is for your own good."
There is still no luck. All hands remain down.
"Madison, read the next word."
Madison looks up from her words and blushes. She's always been kind of shy.
"Aloof; Not involved with or friendly towards. The boy was aloof to his enemies."
"Very good Madison, but next time speak up. We could barely hear you."
The rest of class it's like pulling teeth. Nobody raises their hand, so Mr. Kelsak picks a victim. Everyone answers correctly, but I wonder what would happen if someone answered incorrectly. I wasn't willing to find out. To my relief the bell rings. Everybody starts to hustle out of the room as Mr. Kelsak shouts,"Don't forget to study for your vocab test!" I head out of the room, Mr. Kelsak giving me one last glance.