Painful Truth

You sat in the corner of the room and wearily gazed at your hopeful comrades huddling around Armin as he confirmed the plan to retake the basement.

They won't make it. No one will

You shivered, hugged your legs and bought them closer, trying to gather all the warmth in your body to soothe the cold pain you felt inside.
Footsteps stopped infront of you, you dragged open your eyes to see Armin with an outstretched hand.

"You'll join us right?" He asked. You couldn't tell if it was fear or determination that hung at his words.

It felt as though you were joining everyone to descend to the afterworld as you loaded the one bullet in your gun.
Maybe you'll see Eren again
Before you knew it you boarded the cramped elevator and positioned yourself. It felt as if each move wasnt your own. Even as titans proceeded to come closer and closer, you felt no panic.
You were dead. Yet you refused to die.

That was what compelled you to pull the trigger as Marco bellowed the order. Flashes of gunshots blinded the Titans.

It was the defeaning sound and the sight of your comrades risking and almost losing their lives in Connie and Sasha's cases to kill the titans that bought you back to your senses.
"Connie,Sasha! Are you ok?" You asked running towards them, getting a blast of titan steam on the way.

They laughed awkwardly in response.
"Nevermind that, lets fill up our tanks and get the fuck out of here!"
The guilt of realising that you could make it out alive, leaving Eren behind struck you as you struggled to clasp on your tank.

I wonder what happened to that one titan

You thought as you proceeded towards the wall.
"What are you guys doing?" You heard Jean say, which caught your attention to Mikasa,Armin and a few others watching something. Curiosity got the better of you and you turned back to see the fuss.

"That titan, its getting eaten" Mikasa explained.
You saw the rogue titan being cornered and devoured.
"It would be a waste if it died"
"What if that titan could help us?" Annie questioned. You felt disappointed at her stupid suggestion.
"Titans are titans, leave it alone lets go" an annoyed Jean started to leave and you decided to follow suit when the rogue titan broke free by force and spent its last spurt of energy killing another specific titan before crashing to the ground.
"See it died" Jean huffed
"Th-thats the titan that killed Thomas!" Armin exclaimed.
"Theres no way that titan could of singled it out, Armin." You mumbled irritated.
You noticed everyone was focusing on the thick smoke spewing from the rogue titan.

A silhouette could be seen latching off its back.
You rubbed your eyes vigorously and squinted at the smoke once again. What?

Eren

You took a step forward hesitantly and from the corner of your eye you saw Mikasa charge towards Eren.
She embraced him desperately and wailed, tears streaming down her face. You never would of thought her out of all people could cry like that.

You remained frozen, rooted to the spot and just watched from the outside.
You had no right to be there. You gave up on everyone, you gave up on yourself.
Just like that time...
That man's voice creeped into your mind:
"This is the painful truth"
Why am I even alive?

****
Eren was promptly taken away by the Garrison , the rest were ordered to standby with the others and keep our mouths shut. Mikasa and Armin however, remained with Eren.

You were sat on a table, watching all the casualties being carried by.

The sight of blood triggered a pulsating memory in your mind.

Authors note: sorry about the short vague chapter im ill, theres a flashback/Memory/Backstory next chapter for the Reader character. Pls look foward to it. Pls dont hold back correcting any mistakes cuz im proper dizzy typing this XD