~Chapter 1~

~Falyn Eyana~ 

~Falyn Eyana~ 

(Fa-leen Eh-yah-na)

It was the first tendrils of smoke that wafted past the bare trees that had stopped me from my otherwise peaceful harvest of medicinal herbs.

Settling my half-full basket down I squinted, still only seeing a constant stream of grey drift up to the sky.

Cold...

Yes it is...isn't it?

I let out a small breath into the crisp, White Season air, clutching my cloak tighter around my small frame.

After my recent bought of sickness, my healer mother had frantically nursed me back to health, only to use up half of her precious storages and guilt had driven me to go harvesting even during snow-fall.

It was hard, being human.

Falyn look again...

Alright i will, calm down

My eyes flicked back to the smoke, slightly wary but more amused at the voice's worry. Perhaps one of the baker's children had left bread in the oven for too long, or the old alchemist had made a mistake in one of his potions-which wasn't that uncommon.

But that was not what made me drop my basket as soon as I had lifted it from the ground, disturbing the precious herbs that grew only with the chill that came after the Red Season's leaves turned to brown.

It was the shrill scream. The scream that had disturbed the White Season birds for them to fly away. The scream had me running back to my village.

Then it was the smell. The smell of burning flesh. The smell only to become tainted with smoke that became suffocating as I rounded a bend in the path only to see red.

Blooms of red that danced in the wind and left leaves from White trees to fall on the ground, only to create more red.

Fire.