Reunited and it does feel good

I sat there, in my car, reading the first letter of the bunch.

Dear Xio:

It's been a week since you left. We still cry everyday. I know that sounds pathetic, but it's you. You understand us. I already miss you in summer. I already miss you in school. I already miss you everywhere. I miss you arguing with me and hitting me when I'm being a butthead. Daniel doesn't stop talking about you at dinner. Honestly, I still can't mention your name at the dinner table. I still look at our pictures every night. How are we gonna survive without you? How are you gonna survive without us? Mom says, if your Aunt lets us, we can come visit you.

Well...I don't know what else to say, I wanna cry again. I miss you Baboo...I promise I'll try not to though. Just like you told me.

Your  bestest friend, Robert.

Ps. Mom told me no to bleaching my hair. She said I'm only 12 and that was wrong. I tried, Baboo.

Dear Princess Baboo:

Robert won't stop crying. Neither will I. You've been gone a week and everyone is asking about you. Everyone talking to us, telling us to be strong, like you died. Like we'll never see you again. Stupid people. We'll never lose touch, you said so yourself. I've told everyone to not worry about us, that we'll see you soon, but all they can do is look down, smile and walk away. Stupid.

Hey! Robert's mom said no to bleaching his hair to blonde. It would've been hilarious to see that for the whole summer. If only you could see him like that, I think we'd never drop it.

Well...I gotta go now, but I'll write soon. 'Til we see each other again, Princess Baboo!

Your favorite, Daniel

I sat there, looking at the past unwrap right before my eyes. I chose another letter, a more recent one. I could tell by the color of the envelope this wasn't in the attic for that long.

Dear Xiomara:

I haven't written in a while. Why would I? It's almost like you died.

Just wanted to have manners and say goodbye in an eloquent way. A way in which I could close that chapter of our childhood. We were great friends, I still wish I knew what I did to make you disappear from our lives, but I'm sorry for whatever it is.

I stopped hoping you'd reply, but I'll send this anyway, just so you know we tried. Daniel refuses to write one final letter, so I'll say he feels the same way.

Thank you for the laughs and the great times. But it's time to say goodbye.

Robert and Daniel.

I read the final words and looked up, that red door. Closed just like them and it was my fault. I should've believed them when they said they wrote. This should've been something I wondered about when I remembered Nana being so weird around us. Always trying to keep us a part. I should've known.

I stood there, letters in hand, trying to hide my tears. I knocked on the door. As I tried hard to seem composed and alright, my tears and pain were over flowing.

"Xiomara?" I heard a sweet motherly voice along with the familiar squeak of the door.

"Annette?" I sniffled.