Chapter 2

Thora made it her mission to avoid dinner, and her mother knowing there would most likely be a scolding coming. And into the late hours of the night she had been successful, that was until none but Thorin himself had found her sitting on the bridge with her legs dangling above the stream. Thorin approached her slowly, as though she was a deer he might frighten away. When he settled down beside her and she made no move to leave, he released a breath he'd been holding.

The silence between them was awkward, neither entirely sure how to break it considering their earlier reunion. 

"Why did you not come back?" 

Thorin was startled by her sudden question but expected it none the less. "Believe me, not a day went by that I did not think of returning to you and your mother, but I did not think I could look at you without remembering that my stubbornness would have been the death of you."

"All I wanted was my father, I was a child and all I could think was that it was my fault that you would not come, that I had done something wrong and you hated me for it."

Thorin shook his head, noticing the glisten of tears in her eyes, "No, no my jewel, nothing you could ever have done could have made me feel anything but love for you. I should have come back to you the moment you and your mother left, but the guilt was too much to bear. I know I can never take back what i did, nor can I blame you for how you feel, but perhaps if you wish, we can mend what was broken. We can be a family as we once were."

Thora turned and looked down at her father, "It is all I have ever wanted."

Thorin placed his hand on her pale cheek and wiped away the fresh fallen tears, and smiled when she leaned into his hand. He remembered as a child, she would nuzzled her face into his hands because they were big and warm she would say. Thorin held their foreheads together and they remained that way for a few moments, feeling their love and bond grow. After a few moments, Thorin had an idea.

"Come with me, to Erebor. It is your home as much as it is mine, you were born there, it is only right that you are there when we reclaim it."

Thora pulled away with a look of shock. "You want me to come with you, to reclaim Erebor?"

Thorin nodded.

"I-But- mother and grandfather would never allow it, I am scarce allowed beyond the city limits. They would sooner chain me up than let me come with you."

Thorin pulled his eyebrows together, "Thora, you are a woman grown, I have no doubt you can wield a weapon, the decision is yours and yours alone, as much as I love your mother, she cannot shelter you forever."

Thora mulled over his words in her head before giving her answer, "Yes, I will go with you, father."

-------------------------------------------------

Thora had dashed away to her chambers and began packing her things to leave before the sun rose. She froze when a soft knocking echoed through the silence of her room, she knew very well who it was. The door creaked open and her mother stepped in.

"Thora, what are you doing?" Arwen demanded, but her voice was soft.

"I am going with father, I know what you will say and I know you will try to stop me, but this is my decision and my life, the path is mine to choose." Thora voice was firm, her point made.

Arwen inhaled sharply, in truth she had expected this. "Caladwel, you do not understand, it is too dangerous for you-"

"You say that always! I was taught to wield a weapon and for what? To spend the rest of my life wondering what freedom tastes like? This is not fair, I am not a child anymore, and Erebor is my home too." Thora took a harsh breath, her anger released finally. "You do not understand, I have to do this."

"If you do this you will die!" Arwen gritted, it was rare for Arwen to show anger in her words but this had been on her mind for some time. "Your grandfather envisioned the quest to reclaim Erebor, and he saw you die on a field of ice stained in red. I won't risk the vision coming true, I love you too much for that as any mother should."

Thora's face became a mask of shock, "You did not tell me. Why?"

"Because I did not wish you to live with the knowledge of when you would die. I did not wish you to bear such a burden." 

"No. But I bore the burden of confinement instead." Thora stormed from her room, the feeling of tears burning in her eyes. She glared at the guards that followed her, no doubt to stop her from leaving with the dwarves. So she went to the only person she could bear to see right now, Aragorn.

The young Ranger opened his door blurry eyed and disheveled in appearance, but upon seeing Thora teary eye at his door any need for sleep disappeared. 

"Thora, what is it, love?" Aragorn stepped aside to allow her in despite the guards close by, he didn't care.    

As soon as the door closed Thora collapsed into Aragorn arms, "I feel like I am suffocating here."

Aragorn held her tight and buried his face in her black hair. "Tell me what happened."

"My father returned, and he wishes for me to join him on his quest, and I can dream of nothing better, but mother refused. She believes that my grandfather's vision of my death will come true if I go with my father."

Aragorn was unsure what to say, he loved Thora and would sooner die than see her hurt but he wanted her to live a life full of happiness and adventure too. "Thora, a life lived in fear, is a life half lived. If this is the path you believe you must follow, then follow it without fear."

"How, I cannot even leave my room without being followed, let alone leave the city."

Aragorn gave a wry smile and pulled her to the window which overlooked the stables and city entrance. "Do you not remember the many times we would climb out my window and sneak to the stables late at night?" 

The look of understanding on Thora's face prompted Aragorn to continue, "Pack your things and tomorrow I will sneak them into my chambers and when night falls come here and I will help you get out. Do you know the way to Erebor?"

Thora nodded, "Vaguely, but some years ago my grandfather brought me with him to Mirkwood to visit the King and his son. I can get myself there, the journey there on is fairly simple."

Aragorn peered out to the mountains, the first rays of morning teased the horizons. "You should return to your chambers and rest while you can, leave the rest to me."

"Why is it that I feel this is not your first time sneaking out of the city?" Thora asked with a wry smile.

Aragorn mirrored her expression and pulled her close by her waist, "I have my tricks, love."

Thora left him with a sweet kiss before returning to her room to sleep while the dwarves slipped out of Rivendell unnoticed. Her path was to follow her father, not even the thought of death would stop her.

Guess who's back!!!!! So this story was a request from one of my followers and I promised them I would do it so here's the first 3 chapters. The plot and story was created and requested by her so please tell me what you think so far. Stay awesome!!