Chapter 17 - Can I Trust You?

Skye's POV

As Alex and I walked to Science class, the grin from her face never moved. "So I take it went well with Tom?" I asked.

"More than well. He asked me to the dance!" She beamed.

"Tell me you said yes!" I got excited.

"Duh!" She replied. We did a little celebration dance.

"Now to hook you and Nathan up." She said once we were finished.

"He doesn't like me." I said, walking into the classroom.

She gave me a look. "You should quit lying to yourself."

"Lying to myself?" I sat my things down and sat.

"Yeah. It's pretty obvious you guys have a connection." She explained.

"I guess." I shrugged.

"'I guess' Nothing! You and him are meant for each other! Why don't you just hook up already?"

"Because i'm not sure about my feelings yet." I replied.

When the bell rang, we worked on our things and we took notes.

Needless to say, this class went by too slow.

-

Hours later...

Nathan's POV

We all left out of 8th period. I talked to Max about the dance and how Tom talked to Alex. 

"I can't believe they really hit it off. That quick." He said.

"I know." I agreed.

"So what are you gonna do about Skye?" He asked.

"I don't know yet."

"You'll know soon enough. Don't stress too much." He assured.

"I just want to build an impression. So then she will at least consider being with me," I explained.

"I think that you should ask her sooner rather than later." He said as we walked to our lockers.

"I know, I know." I replied. I'm just afraid of rejection. What if she says no? Too many possibilities.

Alex's POV

I was getting something from Mrs. Hoofer's classroom and walking out to find Siva and Jay when I heard my name.

"Alex!" Someone was yelling my name from far off.

I turned and Nathan was running down the hallway. I waited for him to come over to me.

When he came, he looked to be out of breath.

"Alex. Hi." He said breathlessly.

"Um, hey Nathan." I said.

"Can I tell you something?" He asked.

I had no idea where this was going so I just said, "Sure, what's it about?"

"It's about Skye." He explained.

"Oh, what's up?"

"Can I trust you to not tell her?"

Normally I don't keep secrets from her. I tell her everything. But this seemed serious. "Yeah, you can trust me."

"Okay," He took a deep breath. "I'm in love with her."

I thought I had heard wrong. "You're in love with her?" 

"Yeah. I want to ask her to the dance and to be my girlfriend but I can't. I thought I should tell you, since you're good friends with her and all." He said.

"Oh, y-yeah I won't tell her." I was practically shaking with excitement! He loves her! He's in love with her!

"You sure?" He asked.

"I won't. I swear." I assured.

"Okay. Thanks. Now do you know where she went? I'm trying to find her." He said, looking around.

"Um, she told me that she would be walking home alone. You can try to catch her if you'd like." I shrugged.

"Okay, thanks. Good luck with Tom, by the way." He smiled and he was gone.

Skye's POV

As I walked out of the school, I called my mum and told her that I was walking home. She said okay and I hung up.

I thought about the winter dance. I have no one to go with. Not that i'm worried about it. I probably won't even go anyway. I've heard word around school that this is supposed to be the "dance of the year". Last I checked, that was prom. And that hasn't happened yet. That's for the end of the year.

I, more than likely will be at home. Who even cares about this stupid dance? Even if I went, I've never been to a dance before! I don't even know how to ballroom dance. Or dance at all, really.

I wouldn't know what to wear, how to plan for it, nothing! I'd be lost. Alex is lucky. She has a date, and by the looks of things, she's got this thing planned out.

I, on the other hand, haven't thought anything about it! I don't plan on it, either.

I don't really think it's the fact that I don't want to go, - because, I really don't - but I think I want Nathan to ask me.