Dear Elliot- Chapter 7

Chapter 7

2 Months After Elliot's Deployment

It was Valentines Day. Everywhere, people were waking up to marriage proposals and gushy romantic dinners. Even Jackie had something planned for him and Sophie. And that's saying something because Jackie is not the romantic type.

For me though, I was hopefully getting a letter from Elliot. For two months I hadn't seen him. Two freaking months. We still sent letters to each other and I kept them in a box on my dresser, savoring every single word of them.

He would sometimes send me pictures. There was one on my wall of him and a buddy, who he named as Drew on the back, dressed in their camouflage and smiling, and they actually seemed slightly happy.

I sat up and walked downstairs, happy that it was a Saturday but not so happy that it was Valentines Day. Valentines Day was a stupid holiday. For one thing, people shouldn't just have to express their love on only one day. And for another, for anybody who doesn't have someone special, it sucks. Everyone making mushy declarations of love, while they're stuck wishing they had someone special. I've spent many Valentines days like that.

As for my mother and father, they (for some reason, I don't really trust their reasoning on this) had left me at the house for the weekend to go out to the place where my father had proposed to my mother. I walked downstairs, happy to be alone in my house and saw a lot of things.

One was a bouquet of roses. Another was a note from my mother. A letter from Elliot, and a UPS box also laid on the table.

I looked at the note from my mother.

Lily,

You're father and I left early this morning but you received these packages from Elliot. Have a nice weekend.

Love,

Mom

I looked at the card on the roses.

Happy Valentines Day Lily!

Elliot

I smiled, burying my face in the roses and breathing in the familiar and delicious scent. I moved to the parcel, opening it up. A small velvet box dropped out and I opened it to a beautiful ring.

It was silver, with a diamond sitting on the top, sparkling merrily. I took it out and examined the shining metal. The inside was engraved and I smiled when I saw the inscription.

I'm Yours

I sighed happily and opened the letter. Elliot's familiar scratchy scrawl was on the paper and I sat on the counter to read it, sliding the ring on my ring finger as I did.

Dear Lily,

Happy Valentines Day! Or at least I hope you received this on Valentines Day. I hope things are going well for you. Only four more months before we get to see each other. Personally, I'm counting down the days.

I know you told me that you don't like Valentines Day because a couple shouldn't declare their love on just one day. And I know you said no gifts, but I did anyways. I'm sorry, it was way too tempting. I hope you're doing well, and I'm sorry this letter was short, I was trying to write it quickly so it would get here on time.

Love,

Elliot

I smiled. I had actually sent him a gift too. He had been wearing his dog tags in the picture he sent me so I had gotten one made for him. It said 'Lily and Elliot' and 'I Love You' underneath it. I wasn't sure if I was rushing the whole "I love you" thing but we had been together for a little over 2 months.