Chapter 4

Maya sat on her favorite bench in her favorite park with her pad and pencil in her hands. She loved to come here and sketch, the people, the scenery, it always inspired her. Today, however it was failing her. Try as she might, she couldn't find inspiration, everything she tried to sketch felt forced and ended up coming out horrible. Frustrated, she threw her pad as far as she could. She had lost it, art was the one thing that made her feel truly special and she had lost it. Tears sprung up in her eyes but she refused to let them fall, she had done enough crying to last a lifetime.

"There's my favorite hoodie, I've been looking for it everywhere." Maya jumped as she heard a voice behind her. She felt an unexpected rush of comfort when she turned around and saw Farkle. He was standing a few paces away from the bench, Maya could tell that he was waiting until she invited him to come closer. He wanted to help but was respecting that she might need space.

"You are never getting this hoodie back." Maya gave him a soft smile, then she gestured with her head for him to come over. Not hesitating for a second, he strode over on his long legs and sat down next to her on the other side of the bench. Not liking the space between them, Maya grabbed his arm and pulled him closer. Then she laid her head on his shoulder.

"Why did you leave this morning Maya." Farkle said in a hurt tone

"Because I knew you'd make me talk about it"

"Maya, you have to talk to me."

"No I don't!" Maya lifted her head up so she could glare at him. "Talking won't help, it never helps, trust me, I've tried!"

"You mean with your bully?"

"Yes! And it...Wait, what?" Maya cut herself off, realizing what Farkle had just said.

"Maya, I figured out when Riley was being bullied, you really didn't think I would figure out what was happening to you?"

"I don't...I didn't..." Maya sputtered, unable to find the words. She was horrified that Farkle had figured it out. She wanted to run away again, but she knew that the damage had already been done. "Wait..." She scooted away from Farkle as a thought occurred to her, "You told them didn't you? You told our friends what you thought was happening...they know..."

"Yes, I did, please don't be mad. We just want to help you."

"Oh god..." The pit in Maya's stomach grew bigger and bigger with each passing second. Now her friends knew, and worse they knew that Maya had been lying to them and keeping secrets from them for weeks. She couldn't imagine how angry and hurt they all were. She could see both emotions in Farkle's face, even though he was trying hard to disguise them.

"It's okay, we know why you didn't tell us. Hell, Riley and I have gone through the same situation. We understand Maya, I understand, I know how it feels. And now I know, so I need you to tell me what happened."

"Our situations are nothing alike" Maya's voice trembled. She stood up and walked away, but she didn't go far. She sat down at the base of a tree not more than 10 feet away. Farkle remained on the bench for a few moments before standing up and walking over to her. He sank down onto the ground next to her.

"Because unlike Riley and my bullies, yours gets physical with you." Farkle stated. Maya turned to look at him in shock.

"You figured that out too?"

"You aren't a mystery to me, Maya Penelope."

"It started at the college fair." Maya took a breath and dove in, she knew it was time to explain. Farkle had already figured out the worst details, it wouldn't take long for him to figure the rest out too. "I spent the entire time at the SVA booth."