Chapter 1

"Hey" said Nick

I turned around to find him standing behind me.

"What ya doing?" He asked before I could respond to his "hey".

"Oh, nothing. Just looking for a new job. You know, since I got fired an' all. No biggy." I replied, with a slight tinge in my voice as I've been looking all morning.

"Come on." He said pulling me up from the chair. "Why? What are we doing?" He didn't say anything and I began to worry because Nick could come up with some crazy ideas sometimes.

I tried to get free of his grasp but he was obviously not going to let go. He brought me over to the couch and sat me down. I fixed my glasses right and stared at him trying to figure out what he was going to do.

He just stared back at me. He looked nervous. He fiddled with his thumbs and started hopping back and forth on each leg.

"Why am I here?" I asked with a confused expression on my face. I was trying not to giggle. I felt pressured and when that happens to me I tend to giggle slightly which is not a good thing, let me tell you.

He finally began to speak, "Jess." "Yes?" I reply, getting slightly annoyed as I have been sitting here forever.

"I broke up with Reagan." He finally blurted out. My heart began to pound in my chest and I didn't know what to say. I started to mumble something which I can't quite remember but then I finally said, "...I'm sorry. What happened?" I was trying to hide the smile that was beginning to show. I was sad he was with Reagan. He should be with me.

Nick replied, "Nothing. It was just that the long distance thing wasn't really working between us and ya know I freaked out about her going to live here so I backed out. I know, I'm a coward. But it's just not what I wanted." "What do you want. Cause you need to figure that out, my friend!" I said cheerfully trying to cheer him up. I was secretely hoping he was going to say "You." But that was not the case.

"I don't know Jess." He replied back to me, his voice started to sound frustrated.

"What are you going to do, Nick?" I said. I don't know why I said this. This will just make him worse.

Nick stopped fiddling with his thumbs and stood straight up, staring at me. "I'm asking for help and all you can say to me is 'what are you going to do?' I need a little more Jess. Please?" His voice was starting to tremble, as if there was a lump in his throat.

I felt my face turn to a red and I could see tears starting to form in his eyes. I stood up and walked slowly over to him and wrapped my arms around his waist and consoled him. "It'll be ok , Nick, you'll find someone." I said this hoping that 'someone' will be me.

We stood in the same position for around two minutes until Schmidt came walking in with Cece.