10. Space

They quietly walked into Scott's room. He was hooked up to an IV and different monitors and the bed was slightly elevated so he was not flat on his back. His left leg that was in a cast was also elevated by a sling attached to a pole. The right side of his head including his right eye were heavily bandaged. His left eye was closed.

Kirstie walked up close to him and softly ran the back of her fingers across his forehead, "Scotty?"

Scott slowly blinked his eye open. "Hi."

"How are you feeling baby?"

"Really... really... stupid."

"Oh honey, you're all right. That's all that matters."

"I'm really sorry to have worried you."

"Are you in pain?" asked Kevin.

"No, not right now. They've been giving me some truly awesome drugs. I feel pretty floaty at the moment."

Avi chuckled, "Well that's good. Maybe you can hit some of those low notes you've been trying to hit."

Jonathan added, "Speaking of, too soon to ask if you can tour?"

Everyone gave Jonathan a side glare. Yes, it was too soon, jerk.

But Scott cleared his throat and went for a full-on, drawn out, baritone rendition with a slight variation in lyrics, "I'm a natural disaster!" and ended with a giggle and a snort.

It was full volume, full on Scott. Everyone laughed and relief swept the room.

Except for Mitch. "Shut up! Shut up! It's not funny. You nearly died! You are an absolute asshole! You could have ruined all our lives. And for what?!" He was trembling and furious.

The laughter shut off instantly including the smile that had been on Scott's face. He looked into Mitch's face. Mitch's eyes were puffy and red with dark bags under his eyes. He looked disheveled.

"I'm sorry. I'm.. I'm really sorry," he closed his eye. He knew it. He knew he had been an idiot and he was extremely lucky he hadn't taken some innocent driver or pedestrian with him. Every time he let his mind wander there, he just wanted to roll up into a ball and hide under the blankets. He was ashamed at how reckless and selfish he had acted. A tear ran down his face.

Mitch saw the tear and felt immediate guilt for letting Scott have it before even leaving the hospital. He was a mess since the phone call from the Sheriff.

Scott's tear pulled him out of his own blind panic. He wiped the tear away and slowly kissed his forehead. "I'm sorry Scottie. I was just so worried. No, I was terrified."

"I am really sorry. I promise never to drink again."

That brought muffled chuckles around the room again.

"Okay, okay. Never drink and drive. I do know how incredibly lucky I am not to have hurt anyone else.

But I did talk to the doctors and I can do the tour. Just choreography might have to be adjusted a bit."

Another round of chuckles.

The nurse came in and smiled, "Well I hope you see he's doing well. But he still needs his rest so I have to send all of you home."

Jonathan asked, "Do you know when he can be released?"

"The doctor said tomorrow if he wants." She directed the next words to Scott, "But Scott you are going to have to go to the referral doctor and schedule your other surgeries."

"What?! What surgeries?!" gasped Mitch and Kevin.

"Can we just have 5 more minutes please?" Scott asked the nurse.

"5 and that's it," she said and she turned and left. 

"MY right eye might not make it. They did what they could, but depending on how it heals the next few days, I will probably need another surgery."

"Oh god, Scott!" gasped Kirstie.

"I'll be okay," he said sadly.

"How are you going to get home? Do you want us to pick you up?" asked Avi.

"No, I already talked to a hospital assistant here and I am going to move to an assisted living home in LA. They have an ambulance service that can pick me up and take me there."

"You're not coming home?" asked Mitch.

"No. I need a lot of care still and that's not fair to you. But I can still rehearse. The facility has transport vehicles that can take me to places and bring me back."

There was more to this. Mitch knew it. He looked hard at Scott. Scott let out a long sigh and said, "I'll catch up with you guys later. Mitch, can I talk to you alone for a minute?"

They all took turns patting him on his good leg, Kirstie gave him one more peck on his forehead and filed out with the rest to wait for Mitch.

"Mitch. I'm sorry I didn't react well to you not wanting to date me. I was an idiot and... well... I'm sorry. But I don't think living with you was helping me get over it. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever get over it. I know you love me but it's not the same kind of love I have for you. I've been thinking about this. We'll always be friends, but I need my own place. It's just too hard to be so close, but not close enough." He paused to see if Mitch was going to say anything. But he didn't.

He continued, "So after the assistance center, I'm going to move into my own place. No hard feelings. I will always love you and always be your friend." He waited again for some kind of response.

Mitch had stood stiffly with his arms crossed tightly in front of him the whole time. He looked guarded, angry and incredulous.

Scott didn't have anything else to say so he just stayed quiet.

Mitch turned and walked out without saying a word.

Scott muttered to himself, "Well that went well."