16 | weep

C H A P T E R 1 6 | D E A N

Katie's mom passed away two days after Christmas.

I'd gotten the call while enjoying the holidays at my parent's house in California, and as soon as I'd pressed the phone up to my ear to hear Katie's sobs on the other end, my blood ran cold. Her voice was strangled and hard to understand, but the words 'she's gone' were difficult to ignore.

There was a moment where my mind blanked and I had no idea what to do, though with the looks of worry plastered across my family's faces, I shook myself out of it, suddenly knowing exactly what I had to do.

I had to go back to her; to be there for her.

Ryan was probably the most supportive of everyone, because while my parents understood why I needed to head back home, they didn't know how much I cared for Katie – how much my chest was aching knowing I was miles away when she needed me. With a few quick calls, my brother had arranged a private plane for me, and within hours of receiving the devastating news, I'd packed up my things and was 40,000 feet above the ground, counting down the minutes until I'd land in North Carolina.

It was past midnight when the cab I'd caught at the airport pulled up in front of Katie's apartment, though I didn't get out right away. Instead, I sat in the back seat, my lip pulled in between my teeth as conflicting thoughts ran through my mind.

Would she be asleep? Could I wait until morning? How was she dealing? Did her and her brother need time alone to process things before I stepped in?

Shaking myself out of my head as the driver looked at me with annoyance, wondering what was taking me so long, I sighed, handing him a twenty-dollar bill and grabbing my bag as I stepped out onto the sidewalk. Pulling my cell phone out of my pocket, I dialed Katie's number, holding my breath as it rang, but letting it out slowly as the call went to voicemail.

Deciding to try the buzzer, I stepped up to the door and hit the button next to Katie's apartment number, and just when I was about to turn around and head home, a tired and familiar voice came onto the intercom.

"Who's there?"

Theo sounded exhausted, and whether it was because I'd woken him up or due to an emotionally jarring day, my reply was shaky.

"It's Dean," I began, wanting to say more – to explain why I was here – but the door buzzed, allowing me in before I could continue.

Heading up to their apartment, I was jittery in the elevator, and when I knocked on their door quietly, watching as Theo opened it to reveal his disheveled appearance and tired features, I felt my stomach sink with doubt. I didn't know what to do in a situation like this – I'd never lost someone close to me – but in that moment, I knew it was too late to turn back.

"I know it's late," I started quietly, meeting Theo's red-rimmed eyes, "But I just wanted to make sure she was okay. And I'm sorry," I added, pausing as I clenched the strap of my bag harder, "About your mom."

"Thanks," he replied, his voice slightly hoarse, though the sadness that overtook him as a result was enough to make my throat lodge with despair. He stepped back, letting me in as he nodded vaguely to the staircase. "And she's upstairs. Hasn't left her room for most of the day."

Nodding almost robotically, I gulped, knowing he was watching me as I turned on my heel and headed up to see her.

By the time I reached her door I was shaking from nerves, wondering if this was the wrong move, but as I brought my hand up, my fingers digging tightly into my palm, I rapped lightly. Standing there anxiously, I knocked slightly louder when there was no response. "Katie..." I trailed, "It's Dean."