Chapter 1- A Stranger to Society

A/N: Hi! I'm glad you've picked up this story. Please just hear it out, give it a minute, because the story doesn't pick up right off, but it does get... fun. Please enjoy. :)

Nobody knew how much the world needed thanks like Aki. It was part of her routine to express so, when she thanked the nightshift receptionist of the motel.

"Thank you so much for the night, sir. I really appreciate it."

"Of course!"

"Should I pay you at all?"

"Oh, no. I'll handle it. You're a sweet girl."

She smiled, said "Thank you so much!" and walked out the door. She sighed.

That was the last hotel she knew of in Manhattan. She couldn't afford to ask any strangers for help at this point, because too many people had seen her and too few knew who she was. People were scared of her anyway, they thought she was hostile. She was just scared. What else would you be if you'd never had a stable home?

I suppose that in order to understand why Aki is the way she is, you would have to understand her backstory. It is as follows:

As it was told to her, Aki Skotadi was found on the doorstep of a particularly merciful family one day in the early 2000's, who decided to take her in. They kept her until she was two, when they continued to find forks stuck deep into the walls from her supposedly throwing them; the poor family grew concerned and told the authorities about her. They took her and her paperwork and put her into the foster care system, where she was resigned to family after family being mistaken by her abnormally petite frame and dark, thoughtful eyes. They all seemed to be thinking she was sweet and timid, which could not be farther from the truth. She was, by nature, cautious, that was to be sure, but not timid, as she would readily walk into a dangerous situation where the odds seemed to be in her favor; she was also quick to lay down some flattery, but she was not by nature unassumingly sweet. That was why she ran away from so many foster parents, because she got sick of them expecting her to treat sinister people with the utmost kindness.

But then she was accepted into the Darcy household, where she met her only real friend Delaine. The two could not be more opposite at 8 and 7 years old. Delaine: a fiery, hilarious, snappy piece of mischief where Aki was pensive, serious, and quiet. Aki often listened serenely to Delaine as she would spin her tallest tales, giving her characters silly voices and polarizing personalities. But then the Darcy's grew overwhelmed by the pair, unable to stand them, and requested they be transferred to a different house, but together. Aki intended to thank them for that service if she got the chance.

But soon enough the pair began to face trouble. Having grown so close to each other, they were starting to face challenges. People were mean to the two, and tried to separate them. So Aki ran away, and they hadn't met since. She was 12 then.

After that, she made her way up and down New England begging favors off of people she didn't know, and eventually settled in Manhattan as a hub that was busy enough that she could blend in and stay without being noticed. So there she had stayed, until today. The day before her 14th birthday, and she didn't know what to do next.

An unfamiliar sense of panic settled over her as she realized she didn't have anywhere else to go. She was absolutely stuck. Any town within walking distance had already been covered, and was too small for her liking. She didn't need anyone recognizing her, because that was dangerous, and she didn't need to be running her legs into the ground trying to get to another big city within the day. She dodged between a couple of buildings to organize her mind.

I know where you can go. Whispered a voice just behind her. She jumped, her hand sliding to her back pocket where she kept a little knife, but nobody was there. Her heart started pounding. She turned around again. The voice laughed.

Where was that man? She couldn't see him, but she heard him, felt his presence. She couldn't tell anything about him, but his voice was rich like dark chocolate and cool like mint. Again, the man said, I know where you can go.

"Where, then? Can you give me directions?" She mumbled, glancing around frantically. She was not okay with this.

I promise the place I'll lead you is safe for you. You will not be harmed there, and you can stay in peace. He said. She was tempted, but she was wary.

"Where is this? Lead me there!" She hissed. She was losing her patience.

I'll make the way for you. Just follow the stars I light for you. I would light a whole new sky for you; as it is, though, this is all you need. And her eyes darted up to see a solid line of brilliant starlight blazing into north. Her breath shook in her chest, and she stepped back onto the sidewalk to follow the path the man had lit in the sky.

"Thank you so much." She whispered, shaking, running ever north to her supposed safe haven.

Who had she encountered, that he could light the stars for a single person? What was she getting herself into?