CHAPTER 8 : STRANGE ENCOUNTER

The victorious Australian also liberated Keningau in 1944.

Usah and several other prisoners who survived the holocaust were allowed to return home.

Usah decided to return home to Tuaran, either via  Penampang or Ranau but the night before they were scheduled to depart, he had a dream.

In his dream, so man with the Kamikaze Headband appeared and asked him to take the Ranau route.

Early the following morning, he met with the leader of the liberating forces.

Surprisingly, the Major who was the commander for Keningau agreed to his request and together with his surviving cousin, they packed and joined with the Ranau group.

It was a long route to Ranau, moving along the foot of Crocker Range.

Although there was a bridle path connecting Keningau town to Apin-Apin but there was none to Tambunan.

So they had to force their ways through the virgin jungle via Bukit Lugas.

After Tambunan, it  was another long journey through hair rising footpath traversing steep ravines between Kumawanan and Tontolob Liwan.

After that,  it was almost a smooth journey to Ranau but the commanding officer decided to detour through Bundu Tuhan down to Tuaran valley.

The returning prisoners were jubilant.

As they continued their journey down the meandering rivers, some of them broke in tears : glad to be home again and mourning for their friends and relative who would never make it home again.

Unknown to Usah and his fellow ex-prisoners, not far behind them was a long groups of Japanese soldiers who were then became the prisoners of war, tugging and marching all the way from Sandakan to Jesselton town.

Three days after Usah reached home, he buried his younger sister who died of chicken fox.

He was visiting his sister's grave with family on the seventh day when a long convoy of Japanese army on the march passing through his family graveyard.

These POWs were being escorted by a company of Australian Imperial Army.

As he watched them passed by,  one of the escorting Australian officer stopped and walked toward him.

Through a  Malay translator, he addressed Usah, "Good morning...  My name Major Stephen of the Australian Imperial Army  I'm considering if you could help us? "

Usah smiled and turning to Major Stephen, he responded with a perfect British slang,  "Good morning Major Sir!  What can I do for you? Sir! "

"Very interesting! "

The major said almost unbelievable. His blue eyes stared at the half naked aboriginal,  "If I may ask,  may I know your name mister? "

"My name is Ex-Sgt. Usah of the British North  Borneo Colonial Constabulary Unit, Sir! "

Usah dropped his machete, took a double step forward and gave the major the smartest salute in years.

The major was forced to return his British Constabulary salute and stepped forward to shake his hands.

"Thank you very much Sgt. Usah.  You have come a long way in this War and we are glad we are on the same side! "

Holding him by the shoulder, Major Stephen turned to his fellow officers who were standing behind him and smiling.

He then introduced a short Japanese officer to him.

"Sgt. Usah, may I have the pleasure to Introduce to  you, Major Sakai of the Japanese Imperial Army! "

Major Sakai took a step forward and gave a military salute saying, "Honorable Sgt. Usah! It is an honour to meet you! "

Sgt. Usah returned his salute by bowing his head before he spoke in Japanese language fluently. No one knew Sgt. Usah passed his standard three in Nihongo.

"The honour is mine Honourable Sakai San!  I am forever indebted for your respect! "

Major Sakai had a shock of his life to know that the half naked jungle man of Borneo could speak Japanese language so fluently.

In fact, it was quite disturbing to receive such honour, in return for the aristocracy committed toward fellow human being in the Island of Borneo.

He was so overwhelmed with gratitude that he fought not to shed his tear but it was hard to go unnoticed.

Without hesitation, Major Sakai took off his thick glasses wiping it with his handkerchief with his officers who stood behind him sharing the same gratitude.

It was Major Stephen who saved the day : he stepped between them and conveyed Major Sakai's request saying :

"Sgt. Usah, we have a request to make : you see some of Major Sakai's officers are very ill and two of his senior officers had died.  At the request of the deceased before they died, they made Major Sakai to swear to bury them decently : in a proper burial ground and not on the side road unmarked grave! "

Sgt. Usah nodded his head before he turned around and approached his family : an age mother, his wife and two children of his.

All other family members perished during the War, either in Jesselton's  Batu Tiga prison or at Keningau POW camp.

Out of the six relative of his who were taken prisoners by the Japanese Army, only he alone survived and returned home: his cousin who returned home with him succumbed to malaria.

At least, his relatives who perished at Keningau campus were buried at the mass graveyard, some were simply lost without marked grave.

After a short discussion, Sgt. Usah's aged mother walked toward Major Sakai, took his right hand and showed him her family graveyard.

Using sign language, she asked him to bury his dead beside her daughter's grave.

Major Sakai could not content his emotion and broke into tears.

He stood there facing the lady with his head bowed low.

Sgt. Usah's mother hugged Major Sakai who was crying openly as she tapped his shoulder like a long lost mother and son.

The other Japanese officers were silent with tears flowed freely from their swollen eyes.

After the dead were buried with full military honour , Major Sakai approached Sgt. Usah and handed him an Old  Kamikaze  Headband with a red dot on it.

Surrounded by Japanese army and Australian Army, Major Sakai said, "This Kamikaze Headband is the sign of our strength and honour: we present this to you as a sign of your kindness and perseverance!  May great honour remains with you!"