2: VIP Security

~VIP Security~ It's not that I hate being given a job that's make me guard a VIP, it's just that I'm not that good with bodyguard jobs. Hindi naman ako nagtraining para sa ganoong tipo nang trabaho eh. If there's a department in the EDF I'm most afraid of, it's General Wesleyan's VIP Security Command. I remembered the days I was in the Assassins Unit and kicking the VIP Security guys' asses like a badass from a video game. If our planned operation was given the signal, we could've ended the "Tito" regime once and for all.

~EDF Central Base, Philippine National Library, Manila City-08:15 AM, August 3, 2021~

      It really freaks me out when I go to this building complex. I'd seen people, some I personally know, gave up their precious lives just to protect this "sacred ground". Blessed are thy souls, Heroes of Liberty! I slowly entered the Central Base-Office Building. The security guards here are still as approachable as they were back in the midst of the Library Conflict. "Lieutenant Amano?" a beautiful lady wearing EDF duty dress blues, signifying she's from the Intel and IT Department, approached me. "Yes, I am." I replied, giving my best smile. "Why?" "General Wesleyan awaits you." she said, smiling. Napalunok ako. "Come, follow me." "Lead on, ma'am." I followed the lady-in-blue, as I prefer to call her, to the VIP Security Command Office on the 3rd Floor.

~General Wesleyan's Office~

       I really am shaking right now,literally. Bukod sa malamig dahil sa aircon, it's the fact that I'm going to talk to the man I owe many things, and that includes my life. "Lieutenant Amano?" the door opened. An EDF officer wearing the "intel unit blues" and two gold stars came in. I quickly stood up and popped a salute. "General De Leon." I said. The man is Major General Alberto De Leon, commander of the EDF Intel and IT Department with offices in the same building. "At ease, kid. Good luck with the new mission though." he said. Lalo akong kinabahan. Everyone in the EDF knows that this man is a straight-to-the-point and honest man. "Thank you, General." sagot ko. Ngumiti ako, kahit pilit. "Ah! Eto na pala siya. Good luck, kid." As one general left, another arrived. This time he is wearing the duty dress whites and has a gold star. The man is Brigadier General William Wesleyan, senior command officer of the VIP Security Command and famed for his heroic acts of valor in library battles in Manila. "General." I snapped a salute towards the general. "Sit down, lieutenant. I'm sorry for interrupting your duties as a teacher but from here on, you'll be under my command until your mission is over." the general said. "What kind of mission, general?" I dared ask. "A mission with great worth." he replied, "A mission which would demand patience, vigilance and above all, professinalism." Oh! Big words. Ano kayang misyon ito? Wait? Did he just say professionalism? The last time I was in a mission that demanded professionalism was on a certain joint assault operation - with the NDC. I've got a bad feeling about this. "Three days ago, our counterparts in the NDC Communications and InfoTech Unit intercepted a message containing a threat to a certain individual vital to both of our forces." he said. Uh oh! This is not good. "NDC Lost Command's Commander Kalis has ordered his radical assets to take captive of this person." the general handed me a photo of a beautiful girl, perhaps in her teenage years. "That is Lady Kim Hang Hyei." the general didn't even wait for me to ask. Lady ano daw? "Lady Kim Hang Hyei. 18. Daughter of Lord Kim Geun-Tae, Lord Chief Commissar of the Korean People's Army and a rising author of teen fiction and techno-thrillers." "What does the radicals want with her?" I asked, out of curiousity. "Leverage in North Korea." the general said. I remembered that the North Koreans are starting to have the same problems we had with censorship. "And probably to garner support for their new-found course of action." "What does the NDC say? I thought North Korea backs them." "In an unexpected turn of events, the NDC Operations General Command has agreed to help us." "What?!" "Lieutenant Amano. Your new mission is to protect the VIP from any threats to her life as she visits the Philippines." the general said. "And to succeed with this, EDF and NDC must work together." My jaw fell. No freakin' way! I'll be again working with a bloodcoat! Darn it! I'm used to fighting and shooting them, not working with them. "VIP arrives tonight. NDC will take her to a secure location. Report here at 0430 tomorrow so we could bring your to the location to meet your new assignment. You'll be briefed tomorrow." "Rules-of-engagement, sir?" I asked. "Find out tomorrow. That's all. Dismissed." Yesterday, I was an average EDF trooper. Now, I'm more of a liaison officer in the enemy's force. How would I tell my friends in the garrison? They'd sure as hell kick NDC than work with them. And so am I.