Chapter 9

"Wow," I snarled. "Really, out of all the people?" I could recognize that face even though I only saw it once. "What are you doing here, Brad?"

Evelyn stood quietly next to me as I gave Brad the cold shoulder.

"I just- I just knew that I recognized you from somewhere... but I couldn't remember where. My mind has drawn a blank since a car accident I had a few weeks ago. I'm sorry if I-"

"Sorry? For what, making me wait for you at the bookstore for hours? Or maybe it was the creepy ass letter and flower you left at my front doorstep. How did you even know tulips were my favorite anyway?" I started to get revved up.

He paused and furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "I have no idea what you're talking about. What night did this happen?"

"Three weeks from this Sunday, in London, at around 7pm."

I don't think I ever left you whatever note you're talking about. I was in an accident and brought to a hospital miles from London around 6. You must have the wrong guy."

I slowly turned my head towards Evelyn. The look on her face was exactly like mine. If it wasn't Brad, who was the person sending me all those letters? I started to get freaked out.

"I remember something else," he whispered.

"Remember what?"

"Before my accident, some man came up to me and asked me to flirt with a girl with your description in the bookstore. I don't remember exactly what he looked like but, I think he-"

"He... what?"

"Caused my accident." His eyes grew larger. He looked at both of us and yelled," Oh no, I have to go! I can't be here!" All of a sudden he dashed down the side walk. I chased after him. So many thoughts raced through my head.

After a few minutes, I lost him. I haven't felt this unsafe in a while. I told Evelyn I couldn't do this anymore. I quickly packed my bags and left the hotel in a hurry. I tried to hail a cab but no one stopped. Evelyn was begging me to stay but I couldn't. I was afraid for my life. I told her I was going to go back to England, and eventually leave back to Arizona. A cab came by and took me to the airport.

****

My suitcase rolled up the familiar steps up to my apartment. My hands reached for the door handle and it was already unlocked. My mind didn't even notice it. I walked towards my bed and set my suitcase on top. I couldn't believe what had happened in the past 24 hours.

I called my mom back in Tucson. She didn't answer, but I left her a message.

"Hey mom it's Scarlett. Things have been happening here in London that are really scaring me. I'm taking a break and going home. I hope to see you either tomorrow or Monday. I love you so much. See you soon." I laid my head onto my pillow. Rest is what I needed.

About to fall into a deep sleep, I felt a hand slam onto my face and hold a cloth over my nose and mouth. I wiggled and tried to get up as hard as I could, but my attacker was holding me down. Then, everything went black.