part one

+++

i've always loved books.

they've just never been allowed.

i knew they existed. but how does one get one?

+++

i asked my uncle and he told me books were around years ago. they were used. people didn't use electronics as much as we do currently. but hey, who doesn't want their four wall screens in the parlor?

all i want to do is read another book. my uncle had a lot. he let me read one, then they were taken away, all burned.

my parents are firemen. their job is to burn books so that no one will know their knowledge. i completely disagree. only me and my uncle agree with our views on books.

at school our classes are mind numbing and stupid. we have tv class and hours and hours of sports. useless things, really.

i noticed a boy looking at something non electronic during tv class today. he had a brown fringe that was similar to mine, except opposite. he was pale but still tanner than me, which isn't difficult. he was smiling softly at the non glowing thing in his lap. that's when i realized what it was.

a book.

this boy was reading a book and not getting caught somehow. i had no idea how this was possible, but i needed to get closer to this boy. so that i could read another book.

the one i had read before it was burned wasn't long. i think it was called romeo and juliet. a sad tale, really, but very good.

it made me feel something. you see, in our society, no one thinks or feels much. if you begin to do either, you put in your seashells. if it happens before bed, you take extra sleep pills. you'll avoid it. because apparently thinking is bad.

everyone just wants a cheap thrill. an adrenaline rush. feeling something. so they'll go 90 miles per hour in the car and kill some innocent rabbits or dogs. they don't care.

they have no sympathy. they're completely apathetic. my parents say i'm too sympathetic, that i care too much. but wouldn't you care if you heard another person was burned alive because they have books in their house? i would and i do. i'm considering antisocial in this way. because i want to think and feel. being violent and apathetic is the norm.

today when i saw the boy reading the book, i felt something. i felt the beginning of a rush. it was a mental rush, something i haven't gotten since reading that book forever ago. and a day later this is all i can think about. i miss that feeling. it was only brief, it happened three years ago, when i was thirteen. it was a knowledgeable feeling. a smart feeling. i enjoyed it a lot. however the chance of getting to another book was so slim as the day after every book i had seen then was gone, burned to ashes with kerosene. it must have taken years to write those books. such a long time and it was burned in minutes. a shame, really.

the day after i noticed this boy, i actually approached him. i sat next to him and gently poked him.

"e-excuse me?" i stuttered. "have you got a book?"

his eyes widened and looked around quickly, then lowered his head and nodded, whispering, "yes, i do but you mustn't tell anyone. i'll be killed,"

"i won't, i promise. i just want to read the book. multiple, if there are any," i said.

the boy nodded and looked around again. "meet me at the back door after school. i'll show you everything," he told me.

"i will. but what is your name?" i asked quickly.

"daniel. dan for short," he replied.

"i'm philip. phil for short," i said.

"nice to meet you, philip. the bell is about to ring, i better hide this," he said, gesturing towards his lap where the book lay.

"goodbye, daniel," i said.

"goodbye, philip. i will see you later," he said and walked out the door.

i began to feel a buzz. an excited buzz.

"i might read another book!" a voice shouted in my mind. i almost broke out in a smile if it wouldn't seem suspicious.

i started towards the door and after realizing, i'd most likely be late, quickening my pace.

+++

an// hello!! welcome to my newest book, my very first phanfiction! i'm so excited about this honestly. i'm currently reading fahrenheit 451 in english class and it's inspired me to write this! i recommend googling a blurb (summary) of the actual book so you're not clueless, unless you want to read it with basically no idea what's happening, that works too.

this book is set in the time period of the book it's based off. which is said to be 2022 but in the book they speak old fashioned and i like that so i'll be doing it too, or doing my best.

yes dan and phil will most likely get together in this. idk yet but probably. i think i out-fluffed myself in my last book so we'll see ;)

i only have this and half of another chapter done so i'm not sure how long it'll be and how frequent updates will be. probably not very often (i aim for once a week but we'll see).

okay i hope you enjoy this book and pls vote & comment on stuff if you want. thanks ily have a nice day/ night/ whenever you're reading this

bye!!
~ haley ☁️