chapter one

For all the fourteen years that Kennedy Mason had been alive, it was very fast paced. She, and everyone around her, always assumed she would be one of those who lived a turbulent life and died young. Honestly, she was surprised that her eyes opened for yet another day. She didn't know whether it was a blessing or a curse that she was still alive. To her, and yet again everyone around her, it seemed like a curse.

Kennedy Mason was an actress. Her best friend, Drew Barrymore, was an actress too. The two had been best friends since they were little children. Everyone – including the media who fed off it – was aware of their friendship. There wasn't one person who wasn't wary of them, especially when the two were together. The two were self destructive but as long as they went down together, they didn't care.

The two got emancipated from their families and subsequently decided to live together. Their house was vacant because they were rarely in. They did rack up a schedule with their filming and non-stop partying. Not much was in the shared house, apart from a few posters and odd objects scattered here and there.

Snorting the last line of cocaine she had, Kennedy sighed peacefully and stumbled onto the couch. All her life she was given the talk about the dark side of Hollywood. It was too late because she'd already succumbed to it. She was in too deep already and she didn't want to get out.

Lighting a cigarette, she flinched slightly when she heard the door slam. Then she realised who it must've been. Drew.

"You should get an early night, you've got to be on set tomorrow," Drew teased.

"Bite me," snapped Kennedy, blowing the smoke in Drew's face.

"Already have," Drew smirked. "Seen your new co-star yet?"

"No." Kennedy's eyes squinted in confusion. "What about him?"

"It's Joaquín Phoenix," Drew told her. "River Phoenix's brother. See, you're that close to fucking a Phoenix brother."

Kennedy took in the information. She knew who River was, everybody did. There wasn't a person on Earth who hadn't fall in love with the Phoenix teen. She was aware of his many siblings but she didn't know they were actors too. How many siblings did he even have?

"Depends on how old he is," Kennedy said. Yes, Kennedy didn't mind an older man but even she had her limits.

"You're literally two months younger than him," Drew stated. "It's about time you had a boyfriend, Ken. It's okay to like someone, you know."

"It's okay to keep your legs closed, you know," Kennedy joked. Drew responded with putting her middle finger up. Out of the two, Drew was more promiscuous but Kennedy had her moments. "Did you buy stuff?"

"Got a dress for tonight," Drew said, pulling her new dress out of the bag.

"It barely covers your uterus, Drew." Kennedy assessed the dress. "I love it! Wait, what do you mean tonight?"

"There's this party tonight and apparently everyone's going," Drew elaborated. "I mean everyone."

"I'm coming too," Kennedy said. "I'm not missing this for shit."

Drew shrugged. "When you're on set hungover, you can only blame yourself."

If there was one thing Kennedy could not live without, apart from Drew obviously, it was a good party. If Kennedy heard about a party she couldn't not go. Where was the fun in that? She wanted to enjoy life before she was too old. Plus, free drugs and booze didn't sound so bad, did it?