| 3 |

WHEN I WAS GROWING UP, I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE ART OF PHOTOGRAPHY. After school, I would venture out into the forest near my neighborhood. Carrying a polaroid camera and extra film in my school bag, I would walk around; stepping over fallen trees and listening to the crunching of leaves underneath my feet. Usually, I would settle down on a tree stump and fish out a water bottle from my backpack. I can still remember the feeling of cool water trickling down my throat.

During the summer months, I would snap photos of the cloudy blue skies above me. I would take up-close pictures of the forest life if I was lucky. Rarely, there were days when I didn't bring my Polaroid camera. Those days were spent exploring the forest and writing down lyrics to songs I'd never write. Although those days were rare, I treasured them.

Memories of my exploring days begin to flood my mind as I wander around the streets of Chicago. Ever since the kiss, the Devil hasn't stopped by to visit me. Struggling to ignore my inner demons' whispers, I trip and fall onto the sidewalk. I expect pain seeping from my palms up through my hands, but to my surprise there's nothing. Maybe I'm dead after all, I thought to myself. What's taking the man upstairs so long?

When I turn the corner, the Devil appears before my eyes. He's in a new meat suit, a young athletic man. With bleach blond hair, dark purple eyes and dimples, I can't help but absentmindedly stare. With his cheeks burning with embarrassment, soft giggles escape my lips. We begin to converse over small things as we walk around the streets of Chicago.

"Where do you get your meat suits?" I inquire, walking through a parked car.
The Devil pauses mid-step, his dark purple eyes staring into mine. "W-Why would you ask someone that?"
"I'm curious on where you get them." I reply, continuing my walk. "Are they worshippers? Satanic people?"
"People have dark sides, Kara." The Devil claims, fastening his pace to catch up with me. "Even good-looking people have them. The vessels I use are worshippers."
"Interesting, but how are the bodies able to carry such a powerful and ancient... soul... person?" I question, turning around to face him.
"They have to have power, authority or selfishness - some sort of cruel ability to carry my powerful self." The Devil explains and clears his throat. "They're mainly all prisoners who left this earth via suicide. The 'meat-suits' I use are murderer or people who snapped."

His icy words sends chills up my spine. I freeze, only to crumble down to the ground in a sob. The Devil is taken off guard and instantly bends down to my level. When he pulls my body closer to him, I embrace him tightly. I rest my head on his shoulder and he begins to whisper into my ear.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you." The Devil whispers softly, his hand rubbing my back slowly. "I know what you're doing, Kara. You're getting to the point of all these questions."
"What's going on upstairs?" I ask, my final question burning my tongue as the words roll off.
"You're going to hell, Kara." His answer shocks me. Tears bead up in my eyes and I begin to cry out.

The Devil comforts me, holding me tightly and rocks my body back and forth. I cry into his chest, his familiar scent filling up my lungs. Coldness wraps around me,

"What's - t-the reason - b-behind it?" I inquire, pulling myself together.

We let go of each other, but the Devil refuses to release my hand from his. I rest my head on his shoulder, only to glance up to him when his hand lets go of mine.

"You're my soulmate, Kara." The Devil claims, using his index finger to wipe away my tears. "When He told me, I couldn't believe it. However, it's makes sense- I've never been this close to a human before."

I stiffen as his words drip off his tongue. Me, a human being, the soulmate of the Devil? Holding back the urge to scream, I rise from the ground and clear my throat

"Soulmates never meet each other while they're hearts are still beating, do they?" I inquire, looking over at the Devil.
"Sometimes. Remember when we bumped into each other?" The Devil questions, however he doesn't waste a second. "That wasn't a coincidence, Kara. While my heart hasn't been beating for a while now-" I couldn't help but chuckle and this "-yours, at the time, was."

"So... it was intended for us to bump into each other?" I ask, realizing he wasn't getting ticked off by my questions.
"Yes, Kara. And I am so glad it happened." He answers, pulling me closer to his body.

Snowflakes begin to trickle from the sky, surrounding us as our lips meet. When we separate, he pulls me closer; holding me tightly as we watch the snowflakes dance around us.