[ 5 ]

"Cities carry the most sinners and potential demons." He once shared with me. Before that quick chat with God, I had always had a thing for the cities these humans created - the amount of violence and danger that lurks around the crowded streets has always attracted my attention. Whenever I had time to kill, I'd stop by my favorite cities; one of them being Chicago. I'd walk around Navy Pier, the sidewalks or reap a couple of souls if I got bored.

The day Kara Rose Steel died, I was drawn to Chicago by a powerful force. Now I know what you're thinking, but it wasn't God. (Probably one of those damn angels now that I think of it.) While I roamed the streets of Chicago, my vessel at the time began to show signs of being intoxicated. I had occurred to me that it was the first time my vessel had ever been drunk, so naturally I started to lose my footing.

Nearly toppling over, I rolled my eyes in annoyance and rested on a side of a store for support. With a brewing headache forming, I prepared for the hangover and gathered myself slowly. Pain began to crash into my body in waves, my adrenaline beginning to kick in. The burning sensation in my shoulder was the last straw. With a snap of my fingers, I was instantly transported to the place where this all was taking place.

Body against the rough concrete pavement, Kira wasn't showing signs of breathing or movement. Now on occasion, I do witness a human's death; it's one of my favorite pastimes. But seeing Kira Steel let out her last breathe in front of my eyes, I couldn't help but scream bloody murder.

I could feel everything shutting down. Memories that weren't mine flashed before my eyes. Her fourth birthday - Mr. Steel arrived late to the birthday party drunk out of his mind and later almost ended his life. Her first kiss - it was someday in October, Kara sneaked out of her seventh period class and met her now ex boyfriend up on the roof. Her first cigarette - intoxicated and attending a college party, Kara slipped out of the house and took a few drags of a cigarette that was being passed around in a circle.
Screaming out my anger and pain, the murderer glared at me. The mistake that would cost him his life.