Chapter #23: Do It For Me

Jessica POV

He began to clean the wounds that I caused, which in turn also caused me a stinging pain and extreme guilt.

"I'm sorry... I didn't think you'd care..."

Even with slight answer built inside him, he kept his voice lie and calming. "Are you freaking kidding? I was terrified."

"I know... I'm so sorry..."

"Don't apologize so much. Take your mistakes and move on. It's better for you."

After a moment of silence, he asked the question of which I dreaded. "Was it my fault...?"

"No! You did nothing wrong... It was Ashton..."

"That incident with the picture? That's not something to kill yourself over."

"I know, but... With everyone attacking me, I felt it was my only option. I thought nobody cared for me..."

"Well, you were wrong." He gently kissed my forehead.

I blushed slightly at his gesture. "I thought you liked Ashton."

"Oh, please. I've never even considered having a serious relationship with her. I told you that, remember?"

"Yeah, I do... I just thought that maybe you changed your mind, that's all."

"No. I never break a promise, no matter how small," he says as he began to wrap my arm. "I live by that phrase."

"Wow..."

"What do you live by?"

"Well... I've never really thought about it... Maybe don't take what you have for granted."

"Oh..." I could tell that it clicked in his mind when his smile faded away. "I'm sorry..."

"It's fine... It's not like it was your fault," I said, managing a stone-cold expression.

"I know, but still. You shouldn't have to go through that." It's so strange how I see him in a completely different light... Before, he was just an asshole, picking up whatever girl just to throw them down. Now... He's a sweet, surprisingly emotional guy.

"Thanks. It means a lot."

I don't know what to do or say... It's just so overwhelming! I don't even know what I think about him, anymore...

"Hey."

"Yeah?"

"Please don't do that again. I don't want to lose you."

"Yeah... Listen... I know you said you l-love me...? You don't need to be so devoted." I turned away with a light blush.

"Sorry, I've just never felt like this before... It's weird, I guess..."

"Same here... I'm sorry I'm such an awkward mess."

"You're no mess. You handle many things well, unlike me."

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Ryan. You can fix that."

"I know, I just don't have the motivation..."

"Then I'll be your motivation," I said as I lightly kissed his cheek. "If you won't do it for yourself, do it for me."

"Thanks, Jess."