to the girl who was wronged

p/p :: hi guys yeah i know i don't really use this anymore lol wp isn't a thing anymore but i just remembered this and wanted to write it somewhere so i hope that you guys won't mind another notification you don't have to read this if you don't want to 

i remember the day you arrived. the girl with the peacock hair left in the morning and when i came back to our room after lunch you were there. you wore a red hoodie and black leggings with leather flip flops. gorgeous shoulder-length blonde hair. beautiful smile and eyes that twinkled. 

that was when i knew that you weren't one of us. 

your being was too bright, too radiant, too . . . happy. everywhere you went you left a trail of sparkles and laughter and people grudgingly smiling. 

you were here because your parents wanted to protect you. they freaked out. but you didn't deserve to be locked up like one of us. 

you left three days later. three days was the minimum. i remember when you left. on the second day you had your father bring in "normal" clothes so that you would feel more comfortable. i get that. when i came out of group and you were heading to lunch i saw you in a printed cami maxi dress, a demin jacket and flat gladiator sandals. they didn't allow makeup or jewelry but you made do with what you had. when you got in line for the elevator, everyone stared at you (yes especially the boys). we all gave up. search any one of us up and you'll find us in sweatpants, oversized t-shirts, matted hair; all signs that we no longer care. but when you left you gave me a big hug and told me to stay strong. you skipped out down the halls with your bulging bags of "normal" clothes and out of sight and i never saw you again. 

sometimes i wonder if you think of me from time to time. maybe i'm just another background detail of a story that you tell your friends. maybe you tell them that i was the girl with this insane tulip puzzle and i made you work on it with me. maybe you tell them that i was the girl who shrieked in the early hours of the morning when i was robbed but still offered the thief a paper rose afterwards. maybe you tell them that i was the girl who had a poem and a photo taped above her bed so that she could see it when she woke up in the middle of the night, screaming with nightmares. 

but i'll always remember you as the girl who didn't belong there. the one who smiled so radiantly it lifted my somber mood and brought me closer to the surface. you're just one of so many, though, and sometimes i wonder why i remember you in particular. of course you have your bad days, but you always encourage yourself and especially others to keep their chin up and face the problem head-on. i wonder how you're doing now. 

p/p :: i hate this ending but i can't think of a better closure so this will be it for now