Chapter One: Finally

(clary)

Here I was in Alicante, barefoot, my golden dress swirling as Jace twirled us across the floor. The world outside was dark and cold, the only light the glowing orbs that lit up the streets, and the stars and moon, casting their silver light to the earth. Inside the big hall, however, it was bright and warm and alive, people dancing and laughing along to the lovely music that floated around. I never thought this day would come. Some sort of evil force had to have permanently separated us by now, but here we were, runes of love and commitment fresh on our skin. It was nearing three in the morning and I was tired and my feet were sore, but I wanted to make the most important night of my life last for as long as possible. I laughed airily as Jace spun us around and around and around. When we stopped, I collapsed in a puff of gold, giggling uncontrollably. Jace lent a hand and I took it, slightly jumping as I was righted. His golden eyes bore down on me with a look of pure bliss, and I couldn't help but press my lips tiredly against his for a second.
He smiled his dazzling smile. "I love you, Clarissa Fray." He murmured, kissing my cheek gently, like I was a delicate snowflake.
"Herondale, you mean." I corrected in a soft laugh, winding my arms around him and resting my head against his chest. His heart beat slow and steady beneath my ear. The fact that I occupied it was something I'd cherish every waking moment for the rest of my life. Every sleeping one, too.
"Tired?"
"A bit." I yawned. That was an understatement, but I wasn't ready to let go of the night.
He looked down at his watch, a gift from me for his last birthday. "It's been a long day."
"More like a long year and a half. But we're okay. We made it." I felt my eyes closing and tried my hardest to fight the sleep creeping into my limbs. It was no use fighting, as I blinked once, twice, three times before I closed my eyelids and found I was unable to open them again.
"We made it." I heard Jace murmur before I fell asleep in his arms, safe and completely at ease.