Chapter 2 - The Fairy Tale

I opened the third drawer. Scarves.

What? Scarves? Patterned Scarves? He never ever wore them. Not ever.

Why? I was curious.

They were nicely folded, unlike the other drawers.

 I touched through the top layer of them. They were so smooth.

Wait. Perhaps.

Mother? Were they Mother’s? How did she look like? How was she? Was she kind? Was she…? Were they the memories of Mother?

I kept silent.

Scarves filled the whole drawer. Thoughts filled my whole head.

Why?

Why not? I took a layer of them out. I touched through them. Again. They were really smooth.

Wait. No. Not they. Please exclude this scarf. And that scarf too.

They were hard, as if… Something is in them.

The pink petals were printed elegantly on the pale green background. They were scarves. Made of silk of the best quality. Best quality.

Stop repeating.

But there might be something with the best quality inside. What he thought is with the best quality. Mother’s photo in a frame? It might be.

I carefully unwrapped one of them. I didn’t know why. I look around like I was really suspicious. I checked Marcella. She was busy with Father’s wardrobe of clothes. I checked Mariette. She was wiping the dirt on his bedside table. I glanced at Marcus. He was scrubbing the dirt on his shelf. They were tidying their own corner. I revealed what was inside.

“The Autumn Elf”.

The Autumn Elf. I see. A fairy tale. Is it similar to the love story between…

No. I thought. It mustn’t be. Another thought rose to my mind.

It might be a secret. It must be a secret. It must be.

I opened the book. It wasn’t a story. I told you. It was a notebook, with pale yellow lined papers. I was very curious what was inside.

I turned to a random page. Ah. His diary.

                                                                                          13th January, 1990

I felt curiosity growing. I don’t know. How am I going to keep myself from temptation? Just a peek. Would that magic hurt? Who cares! It is my great great great etc. grandfather’s stupid wizard like idea. But I am scared. Let’s stick to the rules.

Yes. There is a secret. I peeked at the three. I didn’t feel secured.

I decided to have a look on the other diary. Now this time is “Winter’s Tale”. It should be written a little bit later. I turned to another random page.

                                                                                              24th December, 1994

Who will I pass this secret on? Only one. Marcella? Mathilda? Marcus? Or Mariette? It is such a difficult choice. I would likely to tell Mariette. She is such a good girl. But this might ruin her. Maybe the others. Marcella and Mathilda are good choices, too. But not Marcus. He could never keep a secret.

 What is the secret?

I looked at my siblings, they didn’t look the same anymore. They looked as if they pretend they didn’t know. Whatever that is, I would be the one.

Hope you like it :) Lots of love :D