Chapter Five

Author's note:
Okay, so I've just got a mood booster to continue this work. Thank you, whoever you are. You're the first! I know this is not a really good story, but I'm doing my best. It can be said I'm new in this field and I'm not a good writer, not yet, but letting ideas rotten in my head will never satisfy me. That's why I'm trying to make this story better and better each time I write and publish new chapter. Every click and time you guys spend to read this story mean so much to me, and I thank you very much for that. And I'd love to remind you to never hesitate to put your thoughts about this story on the comment section. xx

***

Now I was inside one of my campus shuttle buses. Since my university had more than one campus, shuttle bus really helped me, and, in general, students owning no vehicles, in getting from one campus to another. And you remember Marina from the international office had just called me some moment ago, don't you? Now I was on my way to see her.

But I never expected that these two lads would come along. Their seats were next to mine.

"Why do you come along?" I asked them before getting inside the bus.

"I've got nothing to do therefore I'm bored," Glen answered.

"Same with me, and I also want to spend some time in the small forest," said Danny. We indeed had a small forest in the main campus.

Okay then.

I was curious. I wonder what I had done so that Marina would call me. She was really an unexpected girl. I could not guess whether she was angry or not by her voice intonation alone. Either way, I was frightened.

During the trip, I suddenly remembered the time when I found out about the release of my friend's new book. Like what I always said: I didn't envy them. It was their life, not mine. If it was mine, I would have grabbed it from them no matter what. But I realised it was not my life, therefore I had to make my own achievement.

I looked out of the window and I saw many vehicles such as cars and motorcycles passing by. They looked fine. The drivers looked fine. But who knew? They looked fine physically, but they might just be hurt inside. They might have their own burdens, their own huge problems.

They all looked fine.

But I thought I didn't look fine physically. Glen poked my left shoulder and asked, "What's wrong?" He looked concerned. I turned my head on him and I also saw Danny looked rather worried.

When I was about to answer by saying "Nothing," Danny cut it.

"Please don't say 'nothing'," Danny said. "I once heard when a girl is asked what's wrong and she answers by saying 'nothing', that actually means there is indeed something wrong."

I tried to convince them I was okay. I told them that I just remembered I had some assignments and I was thinking about how to handle them all. But I thought even Glen didn't believe me.

Still...

I could not show them my sadness.

They never knew this weakness.

***

I knocked on the pantry door where Marina and other staffs usually gathered. But actually I didn't have to knock. I opened the door and greeted, "Assalamualaikum," and they all replied, "Waalaikumsalam."

Marina saw me and called me to her desk. Everyone else saw Danny and Glen and let them get in.

"What is it?" I asked.

I must have looked worried because Marina gave me a smile meant to calm me down. "Nothing serious," she said. "Mr Malik wants to see you. Come on." Mr Malik was a staff with higher position. Marina then led me to Mr Malik's desk in another room.

By the time I got in the room, Mr Malik saw me and greeted me, "Hey, Dila. How's life? Come here."

I took a seat facing Mr Malik. "I'll leave you here," Marina said. I nodded.

"Okay, let's get to the point," said Mr Malik in more serious voice, but still with a friendly face. "Next week, a friend of mine is coming here."

He stopped as if to make sure I listened to him. "Yes?" said I.

"You know Shane Filan, I presume."

Wait, what?!

Mr Malik must have seen me surprised in him saying Shane's name. "Yes, he is that friend. He will be having a vacation in Surabaya for two weeks. He actually asked me to accompany him, but unfortunately I will not be available. Then I told and convinced him I know someone who will gladly accompany him," he explained. "So, I hope you would be his 'buddy'. It has nothing to do with the international office, though, nothing formal here. He just wants to spend his weeks-off here."

"How do you know I like him?" I asked, surprisingly.

Mr Malik smiled. "If you don't want others to discover your favourite singers, just stop fangirling around on Facebook."

I gave a small laugh. I just remembered that matter.

"I cannot promise you much for the fee. But worry not, I will make sure you will receive enough money for the travelling costs." I nodded in agreement.

Some moment later I just realised that my heart beat faster and I could hear its voice. But I hope Mr Malik did not hear it, I would get embarrassed.

After explaining more about what I was about to do dealing with Shane's visit to Surabaya, Mr Malik gave me permission to go. I then headed back to the pantry to see Marina. On her chair, Marina gave me smiles. I thought she had known about the matter.

"How is it?" she asked, but I just smiled. "You must be very happy."

"Absolutely," I said. I caught Danny and Glen were looking at me in wonder. Then I walked towards them.

As usual, Danny would give his big smiles. "What is it?" he asked.

I explained what Mr Malik told me.

"That's great! What a precious chance! You're gonna meet one of yer favourite singers! Not everybody would get that chance," Danny said.

"But, guys, I think I'll need your help," I said.

Glen put his hand on my right shoulder and said, "Don't worry, we've got your back." Then he smiled.