Chapter Five: Start It Slow

CHRIS POV

Me and Lilakoi have been dating for about four months now. DeVante was of course, very upset about it but I don't give a damn. I was always taught to go for something I want and I want Lilakoi to be my woman. She's everything I want and I'm blessed as hell that I have her. After five weeks of convincing her to, I finally got her to move out of DeVante's place and with me. She's almost 30, and she's capable of doing things on her own....DeVante's just been holding her back.

I'm at Piaget's jewelry store and no, I ain't getting no jewelry for myself. I'm getting Lilakoi something VERY, VERY special. I had Mijo and my cousin Rob with me to tell them my plan. 

Mijo: You brought us down here for some goddamn jewelry? Really dawg?

Rob: This is stupid as hell, bruh. I left Misha, wet and horny at the crib for this shit?

Me: Would ya'll niggas listen to me? This ain't for me. I'm gonna ask Lilakoi to marry me.

The look on their faces was as if they had seen a ghost!

Rob: MARRIAGE!? That's a lifetime committment, fam.

Me: I know. But I love her!

Mijo: Man look, you're 21 years old like me. You're moving too fast with this! We like Lilakoi, hell she's crew; but ya'll are moving faster than a hoe on Maury when homeboy ain't the Pappy!

Me: Look, Lilakoi isn't like every other girl. She's older, smarter, beautiful, mature, I need all of that in my life. She's my heart and I don't want anybody else having the chance at her. 

They both sighed and dapped me up. 

Them: We all in.

IN VIRGINIA....

Today, I'm gonna see my family down in Virginia. Lilakoi has no clue what's going on, but she's about to find out. She's nervous and sweaty, man she's fine when she gets like this.

Me: Baby, relax.

Lilakoi: Relax!? I'm meeting your parents for the first time. I'm scared out of my damn mind. 

Me: Everything will be fine. I promise.

She sighed and twirled with her hair nervously while I laughed at her. We pulled up to the house and I got out and opened her side. Lilakoi looked at me and back at the house.

Lilakoi: I'm sick, let's go home!

Me: Stop playing and let's go inside. My mama wants to meet you, baby.

We got inside and it was nothing but love! I watched as my future wife to be was surrounded by my cousins, aunts, and more cousins.

Me: Mama! Ma!

Then, my Mama came in from the patio, hugging me and giving me a kiss.

Joyce: Hey baby, what's up my angel?

Me: I got somebody I want you to meet. 

I tapped Lilakoi on the shoulder and she whirled around making direct eye contact with my Mama. She gasped aloud and stepped back, covering her mouth.

Lilakoi: Hello Ms. Hawkins! I'm Lilakoi Moon!

Joyce: So THIS is the young lady who has my son on the right path.....c'mere!

She embraced Lilakoi tightly and she responded by doing the same. 

Joyce: Such a pretty, pretty, pretty girl you are! Anybody ever tell you that you look like Lisa Bonet?

She blushed.

Lilakoi: All the time!

Joyce: Chris has been talking about you every other sentence. He's always going on and on about how educated and well-rounded you are. I can see that quite clearly.

Lilakoi: Thank you!

Joyce: You hungry, boo!?

Lilakoi: Yes ma'am. 

We all sat down to a dinner of pot roast, collard greens, turkey, ham, macaroni and cheese, and a whole bunch of shit I can't even remember. When everyone was finished eating, I cleared my throat and got up from the table, going to the counter.

Lilakoi: Honey, what are you----

Me: Hold up babe, don't say nothing yet.

I pulled out a cue ball and ushered Lilakoi to come over to where I was.

Me: Baby, I know we've only been together four months but I gotta tell you, I love you. I mean, the first time we met there was an undeniable and very real connection I felt with you and I couldn't do that with nobody else. 

I took her hand and kissed it.

Lilakoi: I love you too, Chris. You know I do.

I had her shake the ball three times and read the question aloud so everyone can hear.

Lilakoi: Will you marry me? WAIT A---........NO OHMYGODCHRISDONT.....

From that moment on, she burst into tears and stepped back trying to keep her balance. Usher and Polow helped her up. I came from behind the counter and got down on one knee. I was shaking and tearing up.

Me: I want you to know where my heart is, and it's with you. Be my wife?

Mijo: You better say yes, all that money he spent!

Joyce: Hush boy!

The room got silent.

Lilakoi: YES!!!!

I put the ring on her finger and kissed her, then picked her up bridal style (practicing for the wedding).

Me: YESSIR! I'M A MARRIED MAN!!!!!

I hugged her so tightly. I've never been sure about anything than this. This is my wife, and I dare anybody to tell me different.