Chapter 37: Fire, Shadow and Darkness

I watched slowly as the black dragon managed to get itself into the air. It was gigantic, no other word for it. It was almost twice as big as Sophire. On its back you could barely see a rider clothed in black armour, weidling a black sword the radiated evil. I gulped, I knew the king had a very bad presence about him, especially in this state, but I didn't know it was this bad.

'From now on, I'm going to have more respect for the characters in a book,' I said to Reflamen.

Reflamen just nodded his head, staring at the dragon before us. For the first time in his life, Reflamen actually felt fear.

'Reflamen?' I said, 'Are you okay?'

I was getting worried. Reflamen was actually starting to cease up.

'Reflamen!' I yelled, 'Snap out of it! Don't worry about his size or his power, we can defeat him.'

'But... he's gigantic,' said Reflamen, for a dragon, the bigger you were the more intimidating for other dragons, 'How can I compete against that.'

'Are you even listening to yourself,' I said, 'Your the great Reflamen, the most powerful dragon in the world. You are gigantic for your age and you can do anything you set your mind to, so let's kill this dragon, and get it back for all the things it has done.'

Reflamen took a deep breath, his whole body shuddering at the release of tension, 'Okay, lets get this dragon.'

I smiled, 'Now that's the Reflamen I know!'

Reflamen let out the loudest roar he could, letting it echo all around the city. Everyone was paying very close attention now. The fighting had completely stopped, even the other dragons. The kings dragon, Terror, was hovering in midair, he looked over to us, and snarled. 

I smiled back at him the summoned my bow to my hands then shot an arrow in their direction, hitting Terror on the snout. The dragon growled in surprise, but the arrow didn't do anything but annoy him. He roared and started to wing his way towards us.

'Remember,' I said, 'His size makes him slower then us, so if we manage to not get caught by his talons then we have a good chance.'

Reflamen laughed, 'Yeah, well I have a better idea.'

I saw what he was planning and smiled.

'Now hold on!' he yelled.

He took a big wingstroke and pushed himself forward with a massive stroke of speed. He shot towards the dragon, roaring a challenge. Terror seemed taken back, because he hesitated for a second, he wasn't used to a dragon charging right at him. He growled.

'He looks a bit nervous,' I said to Reflamen laughing.

'And he is right to be,' said Reflamen.

He opened his mouth and let loose a torrent of fireballs, all going in Terror's direction. Terror didn't even see the first few fireballs. He roared in pain and confusion when they hit, and almsot blasted him out of the sky. As more fireballs hit he tried to get away, but they just kept blowing him back.

Reflamen stopped his torrent and started to charge up a more powerful fireball, powerful enough to blow the dragon from the sky. Terror had other plans. He roared in out rage and unleashed a torrent of hot fire at Reflamen. Reflamen roared in surprise and swurved to one side to avoid it, letting his fireball go as he dodged. 

'Damit,' said Reflamen, 'That would have worked.'

Terror stopped his fire and started to fly at them again. I pulled out another arrow and let it fly, this time it was an explosive one. It hit Terror in the neck, causing Terror to roar in pain and causing the king to be almost blown from his saddle, luckily the straps held him in place.