Chapter 2: Turn For The Worst

I woke up and got dressed. I wore a pair of black skinny jeans and a cute patterned shirt with a scarf. I walked to my first class. On my way, a girl with slick black curls and a slutty outfit purposely walked into my, making me drop my books everywhere. Her friends all laughed and called me names. I frowned and walked to class. After all my classes ended, I was walking back to Marcy Hall to meet Drew. The same girl from before stopped me and looked me dead in the eye.

     "New girl. Huh. How cute. Where do you think your going sugar?" she said with a snicker.

     "To meet a friend."

     "You mean Drew?" she smirked. I didn't reply. She glared at me.

     "Drew is my boyfriend. I don't want you getting too close to him, or you'll have me to deal with."

      "Oh but sugar, you see. Here's the thing, you don't scare me. I will go meet whoever I want. Whenever I want too. And there's not a thing stopping me," I said getting a sudden boost of courage. I was angry because Drew never bothered to mention that he had a girlfriend. She just turned and walked away. I decided I didn't want to go meet Drew. I was upset. I sat down on a bench outside Marcy Hall and tried not to cry.

As I was sitting with my head in my hands, Charlie came and sat beside me. I only noticed when he laid his hand on my shoulder.

     "Hey Reagan, what's wrong?" he asked me. I just shook my head. I was afraid that if I tried to speak, I would end up crying. He didn't leave. He rubbed my back comfortingly. I really didn't think he was trying to flirt either. He actually cared. I finally calmed down enough to speak. I didn't want to tell Charlie because I knew that he probably knew about Drew's girlfriend.

     "I just had a bad day, that's all."

     "You sure?," I nodded my head. He offered to walk me up to my dorm but I said no. I wanted to sit for a while. It was 4:55 and I was supposed to meet Drew at 5. I wasn't going. I was upset that he didn't even bother telling me he had a girlfriend. And, if I asked about her, he would know I liked him because I would seem upset and jealous. I was walking up to my dorm when I ran into Drew in the hallway. He smiled and I ignored him. He noticed and nudged my shoulder.  

     "Hey Reagan, what's wrong?" he had noticed I was upset. He sounded genuinely concerned, but I still ignored him. He finally grabbed my elbow and turned me to face him. I didn't look into his eyes because I knew that if I did, I would completely melt and tell him everything. He brushed a few strands of hair out of my face and looked at me.

     "Just a bad day," I said trying to hide the fact that I wanted to punch him for not telling me about his girlfriend, but at the same time I wanted to hug him because he was so sweet and adorable. He grabbed my wrist and led me to the chairs outside the vending machine. He sat down and told me to have a seat. I sat down and looked at the ground. I thought about everyone laughing at me and the girl and I thought about her threats and evil smirk. I didn't even realize I was crying until Drew sat in the floor and pulled me out of the chair and into his arms. He held me and ran his long, spiny fingers through my hair while trying to calm me down.

I couldn't stop crying. I just sat on the floor with Drew until I couldn't cry anymore. I realized that I wasn't just crying over my horrible day. I was crying over the fact that my parents didn't love me at all. I cried because I was worried about my brothers and sisters. I was crying because Drew was so perfect and I didn't have a chance at being anything more than friends. He rocked me in his arms until I calmed down. He smiled at me.

     "You okay?" he asked me. I nodded and looked around. I was glad that nobody ever came to the vending machines. Nobody except for Drew, Charlie, and I.