Chapter 2

"Gensing" Marisluna called stepping into the clearing her tribe called home.

On the edges of the clearing were piles of rubble. The large snow covered stone blocks that remained were once the walls of one of the four towers that protected the tribe of Gren. More than a century ago a war had broken out resulting in their destruction.

The clearing that the tribe settled on was in a sense like a large square. In the past a tower stood at each edge. It was said that each had contained a special rock that when linked up with the other towers created a barrier that prevented the tribe's worst enemies from invading their homes.

Since their destruction the towers were unable to be rebuilt for the rocks the required could only be found in a cave somewhere on the distant mountain. The journey was a dangerous and the last team went to retrieve the stones were attacked by a pack of wolves. When they did find the cave it was enclosed by a landslide. They returned empty handed for they couldn't pass the barrier.

Aware of the vulnerability of their people sentries watch the forest every night and day. Sure enough when Marisluna stepped onto the boundaries of her land she was meet by six men armed with spears. One man sat on the tallest pile of stones with a flint knife and a quiver filled of arrows as his only visible weapons. In his hands he clutched a bow. He straightened when Marisluna called his name.

The sentries grew alert when Marisluna stepped from the forest. She brought down her hood so they could see her face. Shrugging off her quiver and bow she handed them to the first man she passed.

"Maris!" Gensing called cheerfully. He quickly jumped down from his perch barely disturbing the snow when he landed. He was the same age as her brother but the responsibility that marred his face gave the impression that he was older. His anorak was plain as the ones the other men were wearing but it was of a finer quality implying that he was in charge.

Gensing was met by Marisluna's blank face. "My brother may insist on halving my name but tribesmen such as you should take care not to disrespect the name given to me by the Goddess herself."

The relaxed smile on Gensing's face refused to falter. "I apologize, Marisluna. Your father is asking for you."

"Of course he is." Marisluna mumbled. She slipped her hood over her head. The fur tickled her face as she did so. "My brother is at the large Guanin tree with our hunt. You can send some men to help your friend carry it in."

The men who were ignoring them before lifted their head at 'our hunt'. Gensing met their gaze. "You heard her. Go help the chief's son."

When the men left Gensing returned his attention to Marisluna. "Take care of what you speak in front of others." He rested his hand on her shoulder. "You may be destined but as a daughter of our tribe our rules include you. A woman has no place in battle or a hunt."

Marisluna looked at his hand but she made no move to remove it. "You are as cunning as the fox that roams in the spring for you talk so strongly about our values when you and my brother train our women behind my father's back."

Gensing laughed heartily, clouds of frosted air left his mouth. "Yes I am." He pinched her cheek with a gloved hand which she immediately boxed away. "What your brother and I do must remain secret. The chief is far too traditional and is growing old. Chek will soon take his place. He understands how vulnerable our women would be if we went to war. Chief Talon is too stubborn to see this and he would lash out if he knew."

Marisluna snorted, "I have received that lecture many times from Chek. If the blood demons wanted to attack us they would have done so already." She bounced her shoulder against his when she passed. "I am going to look for my father, your chief."