Chapter 1

Twigs snapped under the hide of moccasin boots, otherwise the forest was silent. The branches of trees were bare except for occasional withered leaf that had survived fall. Only Fir trees stood out in the almost white scenery. Underneath snow their sharp needles still wore green coats like it was spring. Small birds struggled with their cones to reach the nutrient rich seeds; one of the scarce sources of food in the harsh winter.

From a leafless tree a lone deer skin bottle hung from a high branch. It swung effortlessly in the chilly wind. Behind a snow covered shrub, brown eyes watched it. Occasionally they would drift and search the almost barren landscape like a hunted animal.

A hand reached out moving the foliage for a better view. The slow movement allowed long black hair to flow freely over the person's shoulder. Leaping up suddenly a woman ran towards the tree, her eyes never leaving the deer skin bottle. More twigs and leaves crunched noisily under her feet. A bow was held tightly in her left hand. Arrows were strapped to her back in a finely decorated brown quiver.

Misty breaths left the woman's mouth. Looking left and right she didn't see a stone in time. Throwing out her hands, she prevented herself from hitting the uneven ground. Reaching the tree she grabbed the nearest branch and pulled herself up. Tiny snowflakes pinched her cheeks, reddening them against her pale skin. Once settled on the branch she shifted her bow to her back.

Bit by bit she climbed until she was on the same branch as the bottle. Securing her legs she stretched her hands as far as she could. Her fingers brushed the thin straps when she heard a whistling sound. She retracted her hand in time as an arrow zipped past her cutting the straps. A scream left her mouth from the sudden attack. The bottle fell to the ground and was caught by a man dressed in similar clothes made of animal hide. He too held a bow.

The man grinned up at her. "You are too sloppy Maris."

A puff of air left the woman's mouth. She dropped from the tree allowing branches to slow her fall. She landed with a huff. Brushing hair from her face she glared at the man. "I followed your instructions brother."

The man swung the deer hide bottle mockingly in front of her face. "All you had to do was get this before me."

"You cheated." Marisluna said reaching for the bottle.

"No" He said putting it further from her reach, "You were too noisy. You could have simply shot it down." As he spoke he searched for the arrow he had used. "A fox uses its cunning mind to win battles."

Rolling her eyes Marisluna pointed to the trunk of a tree. "It's over there."

Following her finger his eyebrows rose when he saw the arrow was indeed stuck in the trunk of the tree. "You always had the better eyesight."

She wore a proud smile. "What can I say, I'm gifted."

"You are," He tossed the bottle to her, which she caught easily. "If you trained more often you will be our best warrior."

Marisluna took a swig from the bottle. The coldness of the liquid took her by surprise almost choking her. She recovered and wiped her mouth with the sleeve of her anorak. "I'm perfectly fine the way I am." She spoke in a nonchalant voice but her tone changed. "Chek you know how father feels about you training the females of the tribe."

Chek walked backwards to the tree while shrugging. "What makes you think I care?"

Marisluna looked up to the sky and huffed. "You are unbelievable. He is the chief." She gestured to him with a sweeping motion of her hand. "Your father!"

"And I am future chief." Chek's muscles flexed under his thick coat as he yanked the arrow from the tree. "My father sees women only as bed warmers, baby makers and cooks but I see them as more." He pointed the arrow at her. "You should too."