Chapter 4

A few hours later, we arrived at Bobby's. I had never been to Bobby's before because like I told Sam and Dean, Bobby died a long time before I was born and Dean, Cas, and Sam from the future didn't like to talk about what happened much and also never went back to Bobby's after he died.

"Just one question: I didn't bring anything with me when I time-travelled, so the only clothes I have are the ones I'm wearing. You wouldn't happen to have some clothes my size, would you?" I asked.

"I don't think so, so Dean, why don't you take your kid shopping while Sam and I get started on research?" Bobby suggested.  He and Sam got out of the Impala and went inside, and then Dean started up the engine again.

"Can I ride shotgun?" I asked.

"Hop in," Dean replied.

***

We got back to Bobby's about an hour later, Dean carrying burgers, beers, and soda; and me carrying a bag of flannel shirts and jeans. When we got inside, Sam and Bobby were sitting in front of piles of old books, looking for information about Angels and if someone could be brought back from Hell.

I went upstairs, showered, and put on my new clothes, and when I came back downstairs, Sam and Dean were arguing about if Angels were real.

"Maybe he's some kind of demon. Demons lie." Dean said, referring to Cas.

"A demon who's immune to salt rounds, and devil's traps, and Ruby's knife?! Dean, Lilith is scared of that thing!" Sam countered.

"Don't you think that if Angels were real, that some hunter somewhere would have seen one, at some point, ever?"

"Yeah, you just did, Dean."

"I'm trying to come up with a theory here, okay, work with me."

"Dean, we have a theory."

"Yeah, one with a little less fairy dust on it, please."

"Okay look, I'm not saying that we know for sure, I'm just saying that I think we-"

"Okay, okay, that's the point. We don't know for sure, so I'm not gonna believe that this thing is a freakin' angel of the Lord because it says so!"

"I say he is, 'cause he's my dad!" I interrupted.

"You two chuckleheads want to keep arguing religion, or do you want to come take a look at this?" Bobby said from across the room.

"I got stacks of lore-biblical, pre biblical, some of it's in damn cuneiform," Bobby continued as we all came over to look at the books. "It all says an angel can snatch a soul from the pit."

"What else?" Dean asked.

"What else, what?"

"What else could do it?"

"Airlift your ass out of the hot box? As far as I can tell, nothing."

"Dean, this is good news." Sam said.

"How?"

"Because for once, this isn't just another round of demon crap. I mean, maybe you were saved by one of the good guys, you know?"

"Okay, say it's true. Say there are Angels."

"There are!" I insisted.

"Then what? There's a God?"

"At this point, Vegas money's on yeah," Bobby said.

"I don't know guys."

"Okay, look. I know you're not all choirboy about this stuff, but this is becoming less and less about faith, and more and more about proof."

"Proof?"

"Yes."

"Proof that there's a God out there who actually gives a crap about me personally? I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it."

"Why not?"

"Yeah, Dad, why not?" I agreed.

"Because why me? If there is a God out there, why would he give a crap about me?!"

"Dean-" Sam interrupted.

"-I mean I've saved some people, okay? I figured that made up for the stealing and the ditching chicks. But why do I deserve to get saved? I'm just a regular guy."

"Apparently, you're a regular guy that's important to the man upstairs." Sam pointed out.

"Well, that creeps me out. I mean, I don't like getting singled out at birthday parties, much less by God."

"Okay, well, too bad, Dean, because I think he wants you to strap on your party hat."

Dean cleared his throat and asked, "Alright, what do we know about Angels?"

In answer, Bobby brought out a pile of old, thick books and said, "Start reading."

Then Dean said to Sam, "You're gonna get me some pie," and left to another room.

***

While Sam was gone, Bobby tried to call a hunter he knew who lived near by to see what she knew about Angels, but she wasn't answering her phone. Bobby and Dean decided they should go see if she was okay.

"You know what, Bobby? When Sam gets back, you go with him to check on Olivia. I'll stay here with Sammy."

"Okay, we'll call you if anything comes up, I guess." Bobby said, and went outside to wait for Sam.

"So, Sammy, your dad-me- called you in the barn, from the future?"

"Yeah, he wanted to know where I was and if I was okay."

"So I'm a good father? Protective?"

"Yeah, sometimes too much. Like I said before, you never told me you used to hunt like this, or that you ever went to Hell. Cas wanted to tell me, that's why he brought me back in time, but you thought I was too young."

"Well, my parents never wanted this life for me or Sam either. My dad was forced to teach us when our mom died. Neither of them wanted this life for us. I guess I just don't want this for you too. It's not a nice life, Sammy."

"I just don't want the truth held from me! And anyway, I think I might not have a choice. In the future, you came home recently really beaten up. Maybe there's a monster in the neighborhood and you were hunting it."

"It might be better if you didn't get involved in it though. You don't want this life for yourself if you can escape it, Sammy. You really don't."

Suddenly, Dean's phone started ringing. He answered it, saying, "Hey, Bobby. What d'you got?"