Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Into the Center

I space out while looking at the village center. It is really big. And it looks familiar too. I've been here before, but I just don't remember. I recall the time that Russet and Wini brought me here. They were lost when they realized I forgot everything. My name, my family, my friends, all of it was wiped. Gino helped me back up. Once he saw the state I was in, he took me everywhere, stayed with me, and helped me cope with me all.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Gino wasn't there. Would I be emotionless? Would I just be fated to just become like sea foam?

As I recalled these thoughts of mine, I saw a person approaching us. That person was a female. She had this color like mustard and a white cloth over it. What was the word? Oh right, apron. She had an apron over the dress. Her hair was that of the dirt. It was short and long to her shoulders, but it was tied. She held her bangs back with a metal device and covered the hair on her hair with a cloth matching the color on her dress.

That woman spoke as if she was speaking to a child. "Are you lost?"

I better be honest. That's what Gino told me to do anyways. I replied, "A little. And who might you be?"

The woman laughed softly. Why was she laughing? I can't understand. "Honestly, forgetting like that. I'm Momori, your older brother's friend. Don't you remember?" Remember? I don't recall someone like that. So what is she talking about? The woman continued. "Hey, I'll lend you a place to stay tonight, so follow me."

Russet approached my side. He spoke in a quiet voice, "Do you know her?" If I couldn't recall my family, then what made him think I knew who was in front of us? I shrugged slightly.

But, we followed her to the center of the center. On the way there, dozens of stalls were lined up. People were shouting to sell their stuff and the stalls were colorful. The center was a really lively place.

And then we went to this place this woman led us to. It was as if another wooden tower shot up from the ground, but people could actually see it this time. The tower also had this contraption that told time.

"Wow. This tower is huge." Russet remarked. He took the words right out of my mouth.

"I can tell. The shadow of it is like it's never-ending." Winifred remarked too.

"Iris, do you remember this place at all?" Momori asked.

I really tried to remember what this place was. I put on hand on my head. When I looked at the water, I knew that I couldn't find out. Therefore, I just said what I said. "Maybe? I'm not really sure."

I mean, I know I saw this, but I don't recall. It's not like I wanted to forget, but I did anyway and the only thing to do is try to remember.

Momori smiled again. I didn't get why. People usually are disappointed when they hear what they don't want to hear, yet here she is smiling to my face. I don't get people sometimes. "It's alright! You were young after all."

And just like that, she brushed it off. I still don't understand, but I'll move past this. We then proceeded to follow the woman inside.

The inside was not something to get excited about. In the middle of the ground floor room, a tight, spiral staircase led to a ladder, which led to a room to the top. On the way to the top, there were two rooms.

"Alright, I'll show you your rooms for tonight." She proclaimed. We were staying here? So what are we? People who just appear out of nowhere to lodge in? She showed the way to the first room. "Alright, here are your rooms, Miss?"