Getting Ready

" Honey, you really don't have to go, Maria would understand if you didn't. It isn't safe by yourself..." My dad trailed 

     " Dad it wouldn't have been safe with two of us either. Ill go get two packages of pepper spray when I land if that makes you feel better about me going; I already have the plane ticket and it isn't refundable and i have the hotel spots already checked off so i know when to get gas. Dad please just stop." i begin my daily rant.

" Alright alright i understand i can't really tell you no anyway, I put a little extra on your card just in case of an emergency." He replies with a warming smile.

" Thanks dad." i hug him tight. I am going to go say bye to Maria and her parents they are still at the hospital so I'll be back in a few hours don't wait up okay?" I hug him saying bye and walk out of the house grabbing the keys and my purse i look down at my fuzzy Ugg boots and my pajama pants are tucked into with this Harvard  hoodie of dads on. " Good enough." I laugh slightly at my fashion statement I'm bringing into the hospital.

I stop and grab coffee and donuts the daily usual for me and Mr and Mrs. Goltree. I pull in stuffing the donuts in my bag to sneak into the hospital and take the elevator up to the critical condition and go into her room instantly losing my breath seeing the tubes in her throat and her bruised up body laying in peace on the bed.

" Hey, i brought donuts and coffee." i smile softly at the two playing some card game and both stand up and hug me as i sit up on top of the bed beside maria at her cold body as if it was lifeless. I let them finish their card game as we sit in silence like we usually do every night.

"When are you supposed to be leaving?" Maggie asks biting her lip you can tell she has been crying with her tear stained cheeks and her red nose puffy eyes.

"Saturday morning at 4 am." Realizing it was a day away Kenneth nods slightly, 

"Do you need anything at all? Honestly anything?" I kept away from the fact i needed my best friend to wake up and go with me but i decided against saying that.

" No, sir I am good thank you though. I will take plenty of pictures like you had asked me to though." I smile

They both nod smiling hugging me right before I left. Ill see y'all in about three months alright? I love you guys. Make sure you text me everyday." i hug them tight fighting back tears. then leaving letting go of Maria's hand.

If that brought tears i hate to think what it will be like tomorrow night saying good by to dad. I text dad saying I'm on my way home even if he is already in bed. I make it home safely coming in grabbing a piece of cold pizza from the fridge going to my room and turning on some indie getting in the shower, taking a longer time mostly just sitting there letting the steaming hot water run cold knowing that's when ill get out. 

I throw on my leggings and that old Harvard hoodie and lye down on the bed relaxing still listening to the music letting my thoughts slowly drift onto dreams my dreams turning into nightmares from a few weeks ago with Maria.

-----

"Mia watch out! Pull over let me drive you're ten times more drunk than I am." I laugh turning our blaring music down a few notches smiling a little. 

We were leaving her cousins huge birthday party around 3 in the morning

"Calm down sweet I got it, Look no hands!" She says excitedly as we swerve across the road running into the fence. "Becca!" i hear screams as i cry.

I cry as i just see her going in and out of consciousness as i had screamed back multiple times crying

-----

I jolt up in cold swears as i do every night. I notice its 10 am and decide to get up and go to the kitchen dad already has pancakes ready and coffee and tea being made. I go lye on the couch as he brings it to me. " How is mom on her trip?" I ask still a little groggy

" She said she was good the children in Haiti are learning quite a bit of English and love candy apparently."  he laughs as i do too

" Good. I'm Going to the mall after breakfast to get some last minute things, Would you want to come or do you have work?" i begin eating.

" I don't have work but i have some errands to run so ill do that and while you go to the mall i might have you meet me somewhere for dinner okay?" he says waving his coffee.

" yeah, okay sounds like a plan" i smile and go clean my dishes going to go get ready.

i curl my now red hair and put on my black t-shirt dress and red chuck taylor's and do my makeup soft but with a wing eyeliner it usually compliments my big green eyes. I grab my wallet and hug my dad bye and leave heading for the mall.

I blare my music singing along driving to the mall not even really thinking as i get out walking into Old Navy. " Hi welcome to old navy can i help you find anything?" i shake my head no smiling and continuing to clothes, getting loose shorts and cute flowy tops plain of course and sandals loose ripped caprices and ripped skinny-jeans. To say the least i haven't packed and didn't want to find clothes.  

I go to more stops getting the necessities and a few bathing suits before i leave the mall and about the same time dad texts me an address so i plug it into my  GPS and it leads me to car shop and dad has this truck. " Im proud of your for going honey." he says giving me the keys as my mouth drops. " Oh my Lord dad" i laugh with amazement 

" its just a rental but if you're good with this then maybe ill get it for good." i hug him giving him my keys so the car stays here and i hug him

" meet me at the house dinner has already been made." he says with a rosy smile in his face.

I meet him we make small talk throughout dinner but then we have to say our from both of us we probably cried a bucket and we both go to bed and i go ahead and pack my bag second guessing myself which I'm frequently told i do a lot.  I smile knowing i made the right choice and put the packed suitcases near the door and go to sleep.