Chapter 6 ~ Compromised and The Dreaded Car Crash

The Next Day
(Emma's Point of View)

"The firewall's down!" I exclaimed as i was doing some mad hacking.

"Well can't you do anything about it?!" Merrit asked frantically.

"No, well, whoever is doing this is slightly smarter than me!" I said and i felt Danny's glare. "Slightly."

"Do they know about this?" Henley asked worriedly.

"They who?" Danny questioned.

"'They,' 'them,' whoever we're working for." Henley replied.

"Who are we working for? And are we prepared to go to jail for them?" Jack questioned panicking.

"Stop being paranoid." I said not looking away from my keyboard.

"It really does happen." Merrit stated.

"It happened to you. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen to us." Danny stated.

"Guys, I don't know if i can do this, all right. I don't want to go to jail, you know?" Jack said panicked.

"Then don't screw up. You're always talking about wanting to be treated like an adult. Now might be a good time to start acting like one. Stick to the plan. Stay here and burn it all." Danny ordered. Right then we heard tires screeching.

"I don't know what I'm doing here." Merrit suddenly said.

"I don't know what you would do anywhere else." I replied after smashing my precious laptop.

"I'm here for the pot of gold
at the end of the rainbow. That's it. Then I'm gone." He finished.

"You can do whatever you want when this is over, Merritt. But until then, you stick to the plan." Danny told him.
"Hey, guys. Uh... They're here." Jack cut in with a bit of worry in his voice.

"Okay. Let's do it." Merrit said getting ready to leave. As i took one last glance at Jack i made a decision.

"Guys. I'm staying behind." I said looking back at them.

"What are you talking about Em?! You're coming with us!" Danny argued.

"No I'm not. Now go!" I shouted. They quickly left after Danny gave me one last look that said 'i hope you know what you're doing.'

I looked back at Jack. "Why? Why'd you stay?" He asks confused.

"Because... I love you Jack." I replied.

"FBI!"

"Don't move!" I hid behind the wardrobe as Jack was on top of it. As the FBI agents walked in, Jack quickly jumped down and grabbed one of them, putting his suit jacket in the garbage disposal.

I jumped out throwing a knife toward Rhoades and it caught him, pinning him against the wall. He looked at me and i just smirked.

He got out of the trap and Jack punched him making his gun fly out of his hands. I caught the gun and whacked Fuller on the head making him dizzy.

Jack ran to the living room and they had a fist fight but i wasn't really paying attention as i grabbed the remaining papers.

The next thing i knew Rhoades was on the ground and Jack had the walkie-talkie.

"Five is clear. Standing by for six." I heard the voice from the walkie-talking say.

"You little shit!" Rhoades exclaimed.

"You little shit!" Jack copied.

"What game're ya playing?" Rhoades spit out.

"What game're ya playing?" Jack copied again.

"We're all good at six. Move to seven." Jack said through the walkie-talkie.

"Copy that. Going to seven. Go, go, go!" The voice finished.

"No, no, no, no, no. Come back!" Rhoades shouted. Jack tried escaping but Rhoades caught him. 

"Come here." He said grabbing Jack. I just stood there trying to figure out a way to help him.

Scrambling, i saw some cards as Rhoades was closing in on him. Jack looked at me and smirked.

"Wait wait wait! Hold up!" Jack exclaimed as Rhoads looked at him weirdly.

I threw the cards to Jack and he caught them with ease. Then with the flick of his wrist he got them in to position.

"Really?" Rhoads asked unimpressed. "Yup." Jack replied before painfully whipping the cards at Rhoads' face.

"You little-" Rhoades grunted. Jack quickly grabbed my hand and we ran down the stairs to the garbage shoot.

I jumped in first and then Jack with Rhoades on our tail.  The three of us fell on all of the trash bags and before Rhoades could get his hands on it, i snatched the remaining papers and me and Jack went back to a full sprint.
Luckily i kept up with him. I mean c'mon, this guy looks like he's been going to the gym everyday of his life! Shit! Snap out of it Emma!

We got into the car and started speeding towrds the highway with the FBI right behind us.

(3rd Person Point of View)

NEWSCASTER: We're coming to you live above the FDR, where NYPD and federal agents, as you now see, are engaged in a high speed pursuit, following a black sedan.

NEWSCASTER: We're now trying to get you a better shot.

NEWSCASTER: It looks like they're turning onto the 59th Street Bridge. As soon as we have them within range, we will bring you those pictures live.

(Emma's Point Of View)

The next thing i knew there was an explosion and shouting. We're finally free.

Well, i wasnt supposed to be 'dead'. Jack was. But i guess we both are now. Jack drove us away as we heard more shouting.

(3rd Person Point of View)

NEWSCASTER: Today,
the unfolding story of a popular
and controversial group of magicians,
who have been fast capturing the public's imagination, took a dark turn when a police action that began in Chinatown developed into a dramatic, high-speed chase across the 59th Street Bridge, which caused a fatal collision that took the lives of the young magicians, Jack Wilder and Emma Atlas, two of the so-called Five Horsemen. The whereabouts of the other three Horsemen remain unknown at this time.